• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jussi Meresmaa - Backhanded blast

I like Will a lot, appreciate his enthusiasm, think his form is amazing, and it was a great win for him.

That being said, McBeast is the future of this sport. He obviously has the mentality and composure of a champion. No one is going to ever do what Climo did, but I have no doubts Paul is going to do some very special things.

I would have loved to see the reaction of team prodigy if the 2 stroke penalty made Will lose by one stroke instead of only going to a playoff.

^^^^Hadn't thought of that. funny

I have a feeling alot of you were never apart of a sports team. That's how TEAMS act sometimes with a big win. This isn't ball golf! Why do you want it to be quiet and lame? next you are going to start complaining that we should be wearing plaid pants.....the way they acted is right in line with the majority of disc golf culture.

Look, nobody wants disc golf to become ball golf, so don't start going down that road. Also, I have played ice and roller hockey my whole life, and when we win a playoff game, there's no all-male cheerleader pyramid, there's pats on the backs for your teammates, and a handshake line at center ice.

The Queen's 'We are the champions' beer-drinking lovefest happens in the locker room, away from spectators, the non-existant cameras and whatever else.

I think I saw someone in this thread post;
"Act like you've been there before"

And that's huge in hockey as well.

Forum junkies explaining how professional disc golfer should/should not act. LOL

How about this; you can criticize when hou have won an NT or Major.

Look, nobody wants disc golf to become ball golf, so don't start going down that road. Also, I have played ice and roller hockey my whole life, and when we win a playoff game, there's no all-male cheerleader pyramid, there's pats on the backs for your teammates, and a handshake line at center ice.

The Queen's 'We are the champions' beer-drinking lovefest happens in the locker room, away from spectators, the non-existant cameras and whatever else.

I think I saw someone in this thread post;
"Act like you've been there before"

And that's huge in hockey as well.

Pro or am hockey? Winning a t-shirt and winning the Stanley Cup are two very different things. Maybe you should tell the Kings they should've acted like they'd been there before when they won the Stanley Cup last year...the "been there before (they actually hadn't)" starts around 0:50. Looks fairly similar to the Prodigy celebration. Need to see a World Series celebration? Hell, even some pennant celebrations.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, Will just beat McBeth who was the two time defending champ, and who just set a course and PDGA record. I would be acting like an animal, too.

Not in the pros. They do it on the field and then the cameras follow them into the locker room.

Forum junkies explaining how professional disc golfer should/should not act. LOL

How about this; you can criticize when hou have won an NT or Major.

You say this but do commentators have any more right to do this just because it's their job? Not saying it happened here but it does in other sports. We have our opinions and you or anyone else have no right to limit it. If it doesn't sound credible either don't listen or make a positive effort to change some minds

wow... some of you need to find something to do with your time! A win is a win and whats wrong with being excited and happy? Happens in golf too'

also the notion of neutral announcers is crazy... Have you watched ANY sports program before? There is always SOME biased on TV-- its impossible not to have it but is the job being done well or not should be the question.

Pro or am hockey? Winning a t-shirt and winning the Stanley Cup are two very different things. Maybe you should tell the Kings they should've acted like they'd been there before when they won the Stanley Cup last year...the "been there before (they actually hadn't)" starts around 0:50. Looks fairly similar to the Prodigy celebration. Need to see a World Series celebration? Hell, even some pennant celebrations.

Not in the pros. They do it on the field and then the cameras follow them into the locker room.

I actually used "playoff series" instead of "championship" in my original post to prevent people from using the Stanley Cup celebrations in response to my post, but the comparisons came nevertheless.

Of course, it's an age-old hockey tradition to have every member of the winning team hoist the cup and skate a bit with it on the ice they won it on, being that it's a tradition everyone EXPECTS THAT OF YOU, and of course while one guy is skating around with the cup and running around what are you going to be doing? Celebrating with your teammates.

When we win a championship, though we don't skate around with a trophy, we pose for a picture around it on the rink. But still, the yelling of our team name 'CUP-CHECK-ERS' happens in the locker room. Not on the rink.

edit: Skip to 2m48s

Last edited:
You're comparing apples to oranges at that point then. The Memorial isn't the playoffs, it's the Stanley Cup. They didn't celebrate until the victory was achieved. I didn't see them cheering at the end of any other day.

If Paul had won, and he had a similar celebration, would people have jumped his ass for unnecessary celebrations? Hell no. For pete's sake, we saw him make history throwing the highest rated round in the sport, and all people here are talking about is a team joyously congratulating one of their members winning. We also saw Nikko double OB on putts he usually drains in his sleep and missing out on a three way tie as a result. All this bitterness isn't even about disc golf. It's about announcers struggling to fill too much dead air and an exuberant celebration. It's daylight everywhere in the US. Go out and make some of your own disc golf memories instead of trying to tarnish those of people the large majority of you don't even know.

Last edited:
If Paul had won, and he had a similar celebration, would people have jumped his ass for unnecessary celebrations? Hell no. For pete's sake, we saw him make history throwing the highest rated round in the sport, and all people here are talking about is a team joyously congratulating one of their members winning.

The thing is, i'm not even talking about the memorial anymore, i'm just talking in general about celebrations now.

It just isn't sportsman-ly and if you watch the video above, Don Cherry (not my favorite hockey commentator) even basically says what has happened in this thread "When you act like an idiot, all you do is turn people against you"

You can be happy and celebrate but still show some reserve. First off it's the Memorial not Worlds and they acted crazier than real families who celebrate those wins. Yeah they're somewhat of a team but it's primarily an individual sport and they're playing in an individual event. On top of that you are throwing two molds from said sponsor so if you want to dance around in a circle and chant the names of the disc makers who won it for you then be fair and yell out every one that has a disc in your current bag. :D

I think the only sort of peculiar part of the whole thing was the "let's go will" cheer they were doing just before McBeth stepped up to throw. That was a bit out of place, I thought. As for them being super excited with him, meh. They're kids. It's been a while since we've seen much energy on the course, save for people kicking bags or yelling at themselves.

But yeah, the whole idea of this drama going since the start of this year has been ridiculous. Players and fans alike. The "spush" putt conversation with Feldbeard and Uli was atrocious- there is no need to have that conversation publicly. I really thought Uli had no place bringing that up. Now with Cale publicly shooting off that McBeth was trying to get people stroked- they have officials there. It seemed like any altercation going on this weekend was brought to the authorities at hand right away.

I think the sad part is the fans of this player or that creating rifts, though; I mean, we're not that big of a sport to start hating on each other yet. That's an easy way to lose any momentum we have in bringing this thing into a positive light to the public.

I can't take Cherry seriously. He comes across like a raving lunatic and talks over MacLean when he tries to be the voice of reason. I guess that if my Broomball team (could never skate but love being on the ice) wins tonight, I should just solemnly shake hands with other team, quietly walk out of the ice, take off my equipment, and go home. I play to compete, and I play to win. It's that passion that drives me to dive to block shots and put my body in front of a point blank slap shot. It's part of "the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat", and I know both all too well.

Paul achieved something staggering yesterday (not to mention making an amazing comeback), and it is basically being ignored to complain about some kids' celebration. Will won one of the biggest tournaments in disc golf, and he's being chided for him and his team being happy about it.

You can be happy and celebrate but still show some reserve. First off it's the Memorial not Worlds and they acted crazier than real families who celebrate those wins. Yeah they're somewhat of a team but it's primarily an individual sport and they're playing in an individual event. On top of that you are throwing two molds from said sponsor so if you want to dance around in a circle and chant the names of the disc makers who won it for you then be fair and yell out every one that has a disc in your current bag. :D

All this "two disc" talk is crazy. Where was all the Gateway hate when Nikko won the USDGC? He didn't do it with a full Gateway bag. As more discs are released, Team Prodigy will be at a disadvantage because they haven't thrown them in competition (but will be required to throw them anyway) and will be flying blind for a while. I guess all the talk will then turn to how the discs aren't that great because their team isn't winning.

Prodigy players will have several more arrows approved for use in their quiver for the next big event.