• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jussi Meresmaa design concepts are...'Meh'

Maybe your friend isn't GOOD ENOUGH to appreciate the subtleties of the of a gold level course. :eek:

Played lots of Gold courses and they weren't close to 10500'. Seems like a lot of pros at St. Jude didn't see those subtleties either. Distance doesn't necessarily mean better.

Last edited:
For the record though, you can absolutely have a wooded course that is a great test of overall golf skill and still looks great on camera. Exhibit A:

PB, thanks for posting this WR Jackson footage. To be honest, I had never examined it from the perspective of "How would it look on TV?" It's great to see how well the viewer can track shots, even from a one camera perspective (and let me say again what a great job McFly So High does). With more cameras, you'd be able to see all the options players are looking at as well as getting a more complete understanding of the course and the individual shots.

When it opened in 2007, this was the widest "woods course" I had ever seen, and since then I've created fairways with similar widths from Nantucket and Prince Edward Island to Selah and Trey, and now Frost Valley, Hobbs Farm, and Strawn (aka Claryville, Carrollton, and Columbia). I'm encouraged that these courses in the woods can provide a great challenge for players and still be TV-friendly for viewers.

Played a couple of Houck courses last year, too... Dude certainly knows what he's doing. Seems to get the most out of the available property.

Thanks, Zunz. I appreciate that, and I'm glad you enjoyed them. Getting the most out of the available property is always one of my biggest goals.

Not the best I've seen either, but he's pretty good.

If you haven't yet, I hope you'll get to play some of my newer courses, like the ones mentioned above. I really changed direction in 2007, starting with WR Jackson, and I've been incorporating new ideas and features that I hope make my courses more challenging and enjoyable. The only course of mine I saw on you list was the little 9-holer in Boerne. I'm proud of what I was able to do with that property, but I do have better course out there. Thanks again.

I could post a long defense, but I'm pretty sure I'll be met with eye rolls and dismissive "well you are associated with them" so I'll skip that part and just say I disagree completely with the "a bunch of hyzers" assessment.

I do agree that wooded courses are going to go away from top tier tournaments due to media coverage. That's just called growing pains.

The other point I'll make is that "Jussi Meresmaa designs" as the OP is calling them is a misnomer. The St. Jude course was designed for the top players, and it was actually not designed to benefit, but rather punish the farthest throwers. It was designed to make the pros play golf instead of frolf.

DiscGolfPark (Jussi's design company) designs are for all skill levels. A good case is Jarva - the major 18 layout at European Masters was carved from a 27-hole layout + driving range. On that property they also ahve a 6-hole junior DiscGolfPark design for kids (50-80m holes).

I'm not trying to troll here so please I hope nobody misreads the tone. I'd love to have a course design philosophy discussion with all who are interested :)

I'm new to the game so I don't feel qualified to weight in on course design merits especially with the knowledge and experience of the guys on display in the posts above mine. I can only offer a viewers perspective. I hope that's not taken lightly. Lots of time and money is spent every year by companies to try and get into the mind of the average customer. Those in business know that when your deep in the forest day in and day out that it's hard to see the trees.

As a viewer the St Jude course was not particularly exciting, as was the Aussi Open course. The Memorial (fountain hills) course is also boring except for play close to the water. What I get most excited for and go back to watch again and again are the wooded courses. Maple Hill, De La, WR Jackson, the Oregon courses, etc.

This is just my take and I'm a noob and don't know what's good for the game. But what I do I know is that the most money in this near money-less game is with me and people like me. Ignore us and cater to the 1% pro at your potential peril. This wont be the first game to walk that well worn path.

Last edited:
If there is a move away from wooded courses to benefit media coverage, I think there is still a long way to go to get the technology needed to cover discs flying through the air, on wooded or open courses. On all of the coverage, the discs disappeared for most of their flight into the glare. The St. Jude course made disc golf look small and sad in comparison with the wide open fairways and un-used length that still produces 800' holes, in my opinion.

As far as the course punishing the longest throwers, it seemed to only randomly punish those who's throws flipped or didn't flip due to the wind, or monster skips off of slick, manicured fairways and greens.

I believe that the course was a challenge to the players, the scores prove that, but I think calm weather would have produced scores twice as low, kind of what happens regularly in links golf. So if anything, this course is one of the futures of golf, but not the only one, and wide open fields will not generally make for exciting dudc golf.

In response to those posts I pose this question:

Is it possible that your preference for wooded courses on coverage is related to your experience with wooded courses over layouts built on existing golf courses? Do you think that there's a possibility that in a hypothetical scenario where the two types of courses in question existed 50/50 in your local area and you played both that your preference might be closer to even split?

My theory based on seeing golf around the world (and playing many types of courses) is that our preference in this game is often based upon a familiarity with what we know. You'll notice that I'm not saying that I prefer one layout over another, or that one is easier, and I believe that is due to my experiences shaping my preferences.

I think that if people had a personal understanding of the challenges presented by a course like the Headrick course at St. Jude's they would appreciate it more, and actually I found that to be true. Many of the AM's got out on the pro course to play on the practice day and loved it.

Based on broad concepts in both golf games, the significant difference is that the key challenges inherent in disc golf are vertical, i.e., trees, versus hitting the proper landing areas in ball golf. Other than deep water, discs can land on a variety of surfaces including high grass and still leave the player with a decent lie for their next throw. In ball golf, you better land on a decent surface or suffer a slightly to greatly restricted next shot. In ball golf, they don't typically use trees in the fairways. They line their fairways like porous gutters in bowling where the good players may only have to deal with trees when shanking their shot.

Bottom line is that having minimal or no vertical obstacles in a course layout takes away the core difference between these golf games with links style ball golf layouts (few trees) being much less satisfying for disc golf than they are for ball golf.

In response to those posts I pose this question:

Is it possible that your preference for wooded courses on coverage is related to your experience with wooded courses over layouts built on existing golf courses? Do you think that there's a possibility that in a hypothetical scenario where the two types of courses in question existed 50/50 in your local area and you played both that your preference might be closer to even split?

My theory based on seeing golf around the world (and playing many types of courses) is that our preference in this game is often based upon a familiarity with what we know. You'll notice that I'm not saying that I prefer one layout over another, or that one is easier, and I believe that is due to my experiences shaping my preferences.

I think that if people had a personal understanding of the challenges presented by a course like the Headrick course at St. Jude's they would appreciate it more, and actually I found that to be true. Many of the AM's got out on the pro course to play on the practice day and loved it.

Really, if you take the Headrick course and move the trees much closer together, you would have had exciting golf. Was it just a bunch of hyzers? Not really. But did it seem like the course was overall pretty fair? Ehhhh, that's debateable; I really hated the one hole that Simon threw OB twice off the tee on that destroyed his round. The Re-tee rule on that left a lot to be desired, because to me, if you throw in the bunker, there is nothing wrong with taking a mark from the bunker. I realize that the retee rule is there because it is possible for a disc to never cross in bounds, but would it really have been a huge deal to let players take a mark from the bunker? Yes, that makes it a real easy three, but who gives a turkey? That's the way golf is played, and darn it, that just really got under my skin.

But to get back to moving the trees closer, let's talk about Jarva. That is, undoubtedly, a beautiful course, and one which is not as heavily wooded as a course like DeLa or anything in Charlotte. SpinTV seems to have done a fantastic job at that course last year with their coverage, and you guys only had one camera. The handful of times where we didn't see a finish, a two camera set-up like Jomez or, on occasion, Mcfly, would have had all the disc landings. We don't need to go to these wide-open courses that were designed for a ball to be hit with a stick to showcase disc golf; instead, focus on building championship courses like that, where the land is wide open, but, at the same time, still has plenty of trees and elevation change to make it possible. Is that necessarily going to be possible? It probably isn't realistic, but we can certainly try. Perth, which was mentioned as a hyzer fest earlier in this thread, seems to have hit that mark as well, where it is a good, solid, tree-filled disc golf course which isn't insanely wooded. To get away from the trees is to essentially take away one of the things that really gives disc golf challenge, and I'm not totally convinced that having a bunch of 800 and 900 foot holes where a bad lie, while bad, is still pretty easily recoverable (you can say it isn't, but for these pros, it honestly isn't going to be a huge deal) is an acceptable trade-off.

Now, if you want to see a golf course which I think did an excellent job of creating a temporary course, watch this video. Are the holes perhaps easier than the St. Jude's holes? Probably so. Is this better DISC golf than St. Judes? I would argue that yes, yes it is. You might disagree, and reasonably so.

And so in response to your original question, no, we are not voicing dislike of the St. Jude's course because it isn't a woods course like most of us are familiar with. It's because it produces the same boring disc golf that The Memorial and the past couple Texas States tournaments have produced; there are a few challenging holes and then a bunch of holes where you grip it and rip it, try to place your disc ideally, but then can still easily recover from a bad lie. And I'm sorry, but that isn't the same test of skill as a course like DeLa, or Maple Hill, or Milo Park, or Trojan Lake, because those are DISC golf courses, not a ball golf course where we are playing ball golf with discs.

All that being said, I am not trying to take away from what the St. Jude tournament did, nor take away from the hard work Jussi put into designing that course. What I am trying to say is that, it wasn't the ultimate test of disc golf skill that everyone, including myself, thought it would be. Watching the tournament, it did seem rather boring, and like it wasn't necessarily skill as luck and wind, that would produce some of those scores. And yes, Will was OB.

^^What these guys said!

That's a lot of what I couldn't understand about calling that course 'the future of the game'...
Does that mean turning golf courses into disc golf courses as golf's popularity continues to wane and courses continue to close? Financially not feasible in most of the US at the moment except in the hottest of DG markets maybe.

Does it mean more temp courses for A tier/NT? Not a bad thing.

Does it mean courses that can support a distance contest between competitors as the true test of skill? That happened in golf when Tiger and others started bombing routes the previous generation couldn't, and now there are too many loooong courses and too many power hitters that get chewed up when forced to make shots with their approach and putt games.

I will second the notion of all respect to Jussi and St. Jude's and eveyone that made the event happen, a major win for disc golf. But as someone who plays and watches both golf and disc golf, I still think it presents a bad product from a viewing perspective, and took away the wow factor of shaping 400' shots around trees and the spatial perspective provided by the trees to give reference to the disc in flight. I just don't enjoy watching a disc golfer wailing throws out there to get halfway down a golf fairway.

And LOL Will was In cuz they called him In, but I thought he was OB, and having that disc called in bounds completely negated having the bunkers be OB in the first place. If Will is called OB, it makes both his and Rico's putts much more dramatic and meaningful.

^^What these guys said!

I also agree with the above responses. It would be a huge mistake to move away from wooded courses in top tier tournaments. Especially if the reason is media coverage... the coverage is out there for people to watch and it is pretty obvious that people prefer tree lined fairways over wide-open ball golf style courses. Instead of moving away from that style of golf, the media should find a way to film it effectively. The exception would be a lack of cell phone signal and losing the ability to broadcast live in remote areas.

The flight of the disc is a big reason why people love the sport. Watching the disc turn and fade through wooded fairways captures that and it is huge advantage over ball golf where the ball gets lost in the sky. McFly's Hall of Fame Classic video (linked earlier by Pbmercil and John Houck) is addicting. Even though Wysocki runs away with the victory, I have watched it multiple times. I will never re-watch coverage of St. Jude.

I really hated the one hole that Simon threw OB twice off the tee on that destroyed his round. The Re-tee rule on that left a lot to be desired, because to me, if you throw in the bunker, there is nothing wrong with taking a mark from the bunker. I realize that the retee rule is there because it is possible for a disc to never cross in bounds, but would it really have been a huge deal to let players take a mark from the bunker? Yes, that makes it a real easy three, but who gives a turkey? That's the way golf is played, and darn it, that just really got under my skin.

So, take what was a "do I go for it and have to re-tee if I miss it" decision and turn it into a mindless "grip it and rip it and if I come up short, it's an easy 3" hyzer bomb. :gross:

Everyone seems to rave about Jussi Meresmaa designed courses however I have a friend who played the new Perth course and it was iffy. A couple of fun holes but mostly it was throwing down a golf fairway. I just watched SpinTV's description of the St. Jude's course and all the holes shown were just big hucking holes. Nothing really technical, some elevation which was what Jussi raved about as his big design concept. Even his description of the holes was about distance not really shaping shots, just launch it and don't put it in the sand traps.

First of all, thank you for your feedback. I asked that from most of the St. Jude players too. So far, I have received 95% good/great feedback. I will refer one of the bigger arms feedback to me: "I've played the course three times now and realize that it doesn't give the advantage to the Power Throwers as much as I've seen at other Ball Golf Designs because of the size and difficulty of the basket positions, lots more layup shots than expected out of the top professionals."

I live in an area of the country that is wooded so I'm definitely bias. I've played DG on a golf course and it was fun to huck it but after 9 holes of hucking in the wide open it got to be the same thing over and over.

Disc Golf in the woods is totally different game than Disc Golf in the Golf Course. In this case, I was asked to design Disc Golf course into Golf course. Comparing DeLa and Bayonet is like comparing ´69 Corvette to ´15 Tesla Model S.

I appreciate he wants to design for the longest throwers in the world but for the average player (95% of the sport) these are not designed for you. My home course has a couple of 450' and a 550' and that is enough for me.

Exactly. In this case the aim was to make a Championship level course for the 1% of the players.

If you look at John Houck, he would probably say "But what shots are you shaping?" Jussi just has hyzer after hyzer shot.

Here´my Tee Shot breakdown of Bayonet course:

FRONT 9
Teeshot (RHBH)
1. Full open drive DH
2. Tunnel slight turn UH
3. Open hyzer UH
4. Straight to open drive DH
5. Open hyzer UH / Sidearm UH
6. Full open drive UH
7. Open unhyzer UH
8. Full straight drive DH
9. Cap drive DH

BACK 9
10. Full open drive UH
11. Full turnover drive DH
12. Full open hyzer drive DH
13. Straight to open full drive UH
14. Straight mid-range / putter DH
15. Straight drive DH
16. Straight / S-curve drive DH
17. Full unhyzer drive UH
18. Full turnover / unhyzer drive

DH=Down Hill
UH=Up Hill

Am I alone scratching my head and say "Meh, that doesn't look like a lot of fun if I had to play that as my home course, day after day."

I agree. If you are MA1-MA3 player with 350´ drive, this course wash´t for you.

I´ll address some more of my course design philosophy here:

Temporary course design process is complex. In this particular case we needed to fit 18 Championship holes onto 9 golf holes. That means in average of two Disc Golf holes per one golf hole. There were two par3 golf holes where you could do only one Disc Golf hole. that leaves 16 Disc Golf holes to fit 7 Golf holes. That was a main reason for no par5s. I had to take two holes completely out from the grid (2 and 16). Its a game towards a time (2,5 design days with testing and measuring while course was full of golfers) plus there were no-close-greens clause. actually, I found this area really limited. My initial plan was to make Par72 layout, but that turned really quickly impossible task.

Typically, when you design a temporary course with limited design time, you will end up having 2-3 so-so holes that you need to swallow. Ideally, I´d like to use a week for this level design. This time it was not possible. My design trip cost me $3000+ and it was offered free to the event and charity.

My so-so holes for this particular design were: 6, 12 and 14. There were couple of not-so-great holes (like 11 and 5) but they did fit the balance. My course design is based on three things: Safety (not really an issue this case), challenge (fit for customer) and balance (left-right balance) I do rate my holes for a total balance and this course was favouring little righty backhander.

I was specially happy with the closing holes 15-18. That was a really good package of risk and reward. Holes 15-16 were long par3s and require either a great drive or putt. Both gives an enjoyable feeling of a disc flying down to the fairway. Hole 17 was the best hole for my opinion. You had a two options from the tee (risky short-cut and go-around blast). 2nd shot had awesome views and tought pin (risk & reward). Specially when you were chasing the leader. Hole 18 was made hard. I wanted to create similar finish that is on Bebble Beach, where the big cypress tree guards the last green. Also this green was extremely difficult. It required balls to go for it. I took the tee back because I wanted to last fairway shot to be a driver rather than putter.

These are all opinions. Id like to hear more feedback from the people who actually played the course. Feedback help me to become better designer.

I do also course designs outside golf courses. One of the good example is The Beast (European Open course) that has been favourited by the Paul McBeth and David Feldberg. It´s almost a perfect mix of open and wooded holes.

BR,

Jussi Meresmaa

And yes, this course fits my plans where Disc Golf becomes exposed outside the current disc golfing community. To be able to film this sport correctly, we need to come out from the wood work. It´s impossible to sell the image to the big audience when playing in the bush. Golf courses were not designed for Disc Golf. But they offer really nice stage for showcase it for the people who does not understand it. (both talent and design). Ideally, Disc Golf has its own facilities (like Järva).

I see this development great, since we will have more variety of courses. Making a long and challenging pro course takes nothing away from local amateur player.

"DeLa was originally designed when discs were round and players were hip and cool. Nowadays discs are sharp and players round."

Great course design; love the placement game in the woods - a great mix of control, line shaping, and distance. The wide lanes and 'zones' that you need to land in to shape a good next shot seem to keep courses like that from appearing friendly to one style or type of shot (RHBH, FH, etc.). I hope Strawn can be something similar once it's all cut out.

When it opened in 2007, this was the widest "woods course" I had ever seen, and since then I've created fairways with similar widths from Nantucket and Prince Edward Island to Selah and Trey, and now Frost Valley, Hobbs Farm, and Strawn (aka Claryville, Carrollton, and Columbia). I'm encouraged that these courses in the woods can provide a great challenge for players and still be TV-friendly for viewers.

I've only watched a couple of rounds so far, but I really enjoy it. I don't know why some people think it's just open bombing shots...like Jussi said (which is great to see his direct input and thoughts), it's designed for the 475'+ crowd. If you throw <350' then it's wide open bombs all day. If you throw 475'+ then you have to consider where you land for your drive to set up your second shot. You want your first drive to be proper, so your second shot, which is also a challenge, is a bit easier of an angle for avoiding OB and trees. If you don't have that power, then you just chuck your first and second shots as straight as possible and then try a shorter approach. It's a 100% different game for you.

As for saying the wind and flippy discs, or short/long grass skips is what "randomly" punished people...not at all. This is like saying you hit the tree in front of you and were randomly punished. You knew the tree was there, throw around it. You didn't? That was the wrong line. You knew the wind was there and the fairway was fast...how OS of a disc do you throw? You want to hold the line but you don't want monster skips. So what line and how OS? This is the challenge here. Again if you don't have the power, this factor doesn't come into play as much.

As for the "future" reference, to me I saw it more as a you need to have a couple of good shots for a hole. I haven't played a ton of courses, but I feel like to get a par on most average disc courses you just need one ok shot per hole...an ok drive gives you an easy upshot and a drop in putt. A poor drive with an ok upshot gives you an easy putt. To get bridies you just need one great shot...either a great teeshot and easy putt, or a not great teeshot and a great putt. This course requires thought on the drive (if you have the power to be able to make the thought matter, as described before), and then a tricky upshot. You need two great shots to get a birdie on the par 4's. Even to get a par you need to get a few decent shots in there. Yes it may not look at all like a wooded course...but it looks pretty hard to me.

And yes, this course fits my plans where Disc Golf becomes exposed outside the current disc golfing community. To be able to film this sport correctly, we need to come out from the wood work. It´s impossible to sell the image to the big audience when playing in the bush. Golf courses were not designed for Disc Golf. But they offer really nice stage for showcase it for the people who does not understand it. (both talent and design).

Exposure, 'filming correctly', 'selling the image to the big audience', and 'showcases' are not (thankfully) anywhere near the actual heart of high level disc golf competition or why people actually play, intensely follow, and watch disc golf on the internet. A distance competition would be more entertaining than forcing the masses to watch disc golf shoehorned onto a ball golf course with temp baskets.

First of all, thank you for your feedback. I asked that from most of the St. Jude players too. So far, I have received 95% good/great feedback. I will refer one of the bigger arms feedback to me: "I've played the course three times now and realize that it doesn't give the advantage to the Power Throwers as much as I've seen at other Ball Golf Designs because of the size and difficulty of the basket positions, lots more layup shots than expected out of the top professionals."

I like that the holes are long enough that one poor shot will ruin your chance at birdie.
I like that making the wrong decision will damage your score.

But in courses like these, I don't really see "lots more layup shots than expected". What I see is everyone running the green on their drives/approaches, OBs be damned. If you play safe, you get par, and you lose. If you run it, you have a chance at birdie. In order to win, you need to get your birdies. The golfers know they have no chance at winning if they play safe too often, so they go for it all the time, and what we're left with is a winner who got "lucky" more often than the rest of the crowd. The only layups I saw were long putts with OB immediately behind the pin. I didn't really notice anyone playing safe shots on their approach.

It's similar to Paul McBeth's philosophy at Winthrop (not the best example since he's never won there). He said [paraphrasing], "you can't sit back and play it safe. You have to attack the course on every hole. You'll screw it up a few times, but hopefully you'll get enough birdies to come out on top."
Winthrop hole 17: very few people lay up and get the 3. Most people run the green. Somebody out there is going to get "lucky" enough to get their birdie all 4 rounds, so if you want to win the tournament, you have to match that guy. You'll never win by getting pars on that hole.

Hitting the wrong line and smacking a tree is a little different than hitting the right line and watching 20+ mph winds exaggerate flight, IMO. My main point was scores would have been much lower on a calmer day (more in line with most pro tourney scores) and to draw comparison to links golf, where weather is often the major obstacle to scoring, as a critique of the course; and to point out the grass landing zones on a golf course are Not the same as grass landing zones at your local park, thus the giant skippage.

And a big thanks to Jussi for taking the time to reply here, and here's hoping more pros who played the course give him feedback, and I have no issue with his specific design, but with the whole Disc Golf on Ball Golf course presentation.

I still can't see most of the disc flight on any of the coverage, which certainly detracts from the presentation of the game, at least on video.