• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Drew is a good player and his mental game has improved a lot. He can be a bit polarizing, but is very talented and may have the best backhand form in the game.

I can see him winning some big events in the near future.

The two times I have watched Drew in a full round this year his woods play has been unreal. He does what James does but without as much seeming effort. And like James, all without a forehand, unless really necessary. His putting seems much improved, and of course it seems he has always had great power. Another entry into what promises to be a wide open 2022 top level of players. It seems he has cooled off the anger quite a bit too. Definitely a fun player to watch.

I like that Drew has a lot of uniqueness. He's doing things differently than most of the others. (A bit like Nikko in that way.)

I'd like to see him work on his forehand over the offseason. His backhand game is top shelf. Being able to throw easy forehand hyzers instead of touch shots will likely shave a few strokes here and there. (also keeps the Nikko parallel going; he was backhand only for years before finally developing a forehand a few years ago)

I'd like to see him work on his forehand over the offseason. His backhand game is top shelf. Being able to throw easy forehand hyzers instead of touch shots will likely shave a few strokes here and there. (also keeps the Nikko parallel going; he was backhand only for years before finally developing a forehand a few years ago)

You are correct, but… aah… that depends on pride. Maybe Drew wants to be considered one of the terrific all-around players, or maybe he wants to be considered the most dominant backhand player in the game.

Now that Discmania and Innova have split, is it likely players will be moving to/from Discmania this offseason?

Drew throws an exceptional midrange in tight woods.

I think he misses some of his big drives. Underpowers his throws on occasion—maybe because he can throw big bombs.

And as we saw this past event, his long range putting is solid. It's the 20-40 feet range that he seems to struggle more in comparison to his competition.

Alas, I would guess Gibson will do the same and rename something existing, bring a mold out of retirement or, at most, tweak something in a minor way to make it seem fresh.

That is what I expect also....maybe some redesign of Infinite's line and calling it his own.

As part of his Legacy sponsored time, he 'redesigned' the Legacy Rival...had them make a flatter top version with a different plastic...because it wasn't the Rival anymore, it got named the Phantom Warrior - but it is really a flat-top Rival.

You are correct, but… aah… that depends on pride. Maybe Drew wants to be considered one of the terrific all-around players, or maybe he wants to be considered the most dominant backhand player in the game.

I don't know that Drew rarely throwing forehands is due to pride. I think it is more about 'why change what works'. I'm learning that as an older player....I've tried the 'other players throw a <type of throw/disc> on this hole, so I'll try it' type of play....doesn't work for me. I have to play to my ability for my best game. Drew most likely feels the same way....I could throw a driver on this hole, but my Buzzz is my best option, type of thing.

Disc Golf Player Management is putting together a stable of players pretty quickly- Gibson, Orum, Colglazier, O'Reilly so far to my knowledge.

A backhand only player just recently got World Champion, after being US Champion before ... mustn't be too much of a disadvantage playing backhand only.

It's all about shot shape and James/Drew can hit most without a FH. I would still say it's easier to play some courses/conditions with a good FH, but these guys are elite in their skills so it doesn't show up as much.

A backhand only player just recently got World Champion, after being US Champion before ... mustn't be too much of a disadvantage playing backhand only.
A couple of events vs the whole tour - Does your supposition hold up when we look at the overall composition of the winners of all the tour events? Just because we have some recent possible outliers doesn't mean it isn't a disadvantage.

Forehand/backhand....I'm not sure having both is a huge advantage in the high-level pros. They have the ability to throw so many shot shapes, combined with different stabilities of discs, that I believe they could just throw one way or the other and do well. Don't get me wrong, it is an advantage to be able to throw both forehand/backhand....but, I'm just not sure HOW much of an advantage it is. Jeremy Koling is a forehand player, Paul Ulibarri throws both forehand/backhand. During their practice rounds, Nate Sexton and Paul have both commented/joked about Jeremy not having a backhand throw. But has he beaten Nate and Paul? Yes, not all the time...but he has beaten them.

But it would be nice to see a comparison of tournament placings for pros who are forehand only, backhand only, and both.

Disc Golf Player Management is putting together a stable of players pretty quickly- Gibson, Orum, Colglazier, O'Reilly so far to my knowledge.

Any idea who that guy is? I saw his name mentioned somewhere but didn't recognize it. At one point Nate Perkins had expressed interest in getting into that side of the business. I believe he helped negotiate Aderhold's deal?

Not saying Drew's mixed bag arrangement wasn't legitimate previously, but now that he's taken it to another level essentially I'll be curious to see if anybody else going forward explores that route. Nikko was doing his own thing for a while, but seems to have settled in fairly well with Westside.

Latest posts