• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trivial Trusted Reviewer Stats

How many of the courses you guys review are just played for the fact that you will review them and bag more courses?

Less than 25% probably since NC has a lot of worthwhile courses. I'll hit the low-lights not so much for bagging but because they need quality reviews, I'm the first reviewer of a lot of courses.

Road trips are when I go into bagging mode, I'll skew towards quantity/proximity over quality on those a lot.

I've played a multiple rounds on about 1/3 of the courses I've bagged, and just single round on about 2/3.

Going forward, I'm way more likely to bag new courses at a significantly higher rate than I am to replay courses that I've only played once, so the percentage of courses I've only played once is only going to climb.

Road trips are when I go into bagging mode, I'll skew towards quantity/proximity over quality on those a lot.
... and I'm just the opposite. When I'm on the road, I specifically select courses I think will be at least a 3.5. I have a lot of pretty good courses near me. I don't want to spend my travel time playing courses that are mediocre, or slightly better than that.

Last edited:
How many of the courses you guys review are just played for the fact that you will review them and bag more courses?

Probably somewhere in the 90 percentile. I've yet to live near a high density of courses, which makes a large portion of my reviews a one and done type deal. There's something exciting about stepping foot on a course that I'm completely unfamiliar with, even if it's relatively unimpressive. Plus, the boring courses make you really appreciate the exciting ones.

#baggingIZlyfe

Bagging is an addiction. Playing new holes. That next crappy little 9 hole course just might have your favorite hole of all time. Or produce your favorite shot ever.

Last edited:
I wish I could bag that many courses. I lack in the review catergory. I play a course on vacation, forget to review and then poof. Memories are gone.

FWIW I find writing reviews helps solidify my memories of the course, but I'm with you in that if a few months go by, I don't remember enough detail to write the kind of review I want to.

Last edited:
Another question for you reviewers, do you approach a course differently knowing you will be giving a thorough review?

Another question for you reviewers, do you approach a course differently knowing you will be giving a thorough review?

NO. I am cursed with an analytical mind which means every course I play gets the whole nine yards. I turn the brain off for courses I play regularly but I try to review all the courses in context.

... and I'm just the opposite. When I'm on the road, I specifically select courses I think will be at least a 3.5. I have a lot of pretty good courses near me. I don't want to spend my travel time playing courses that are mediocre, or slightly better than that.
Same here.

no but if i think i can't give a thorough review on one round then i will wait to get another round in, maybe more depending on the course.

0%. Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by "bagging". I'm not playing new courses to lengthen my courses-played list, but because there's a new course nearby I want to check out, or a course within a daytrip that I've heard a lot about, or I find myself in a new place and want to play.

Myself, I never play a course with the intent of reviewing it. The review comes later, if it makes enough impression on me that I think I can add something to the existing reviews---a different viewpoint, or details others didn't mention. Sometimes that happens with one visit; sometimes I leave thinking I need another round on that course to be familiar enough with it.

Part of the fun of disc golf is playing new courses. You can put a disc golf course almost anywhere, so we have a very wide variety of course types. When I travel, most of the courses that I play, I'm only going to play once. I wanted to play every dg course long before DGCR came around. I used to scribble notes about courses in my old physical PDGA course directories (yes children, the internet is a relatively new thing) and add new courses to them. When I play a new course for the 1st time I usually take notes as I play. Playing 3-4 new courses in a day can make it hard to review them later, at least for my tired old brain. DGCR makes it a lot easier to keep track of scores, courses played etc (thanks timg!).

I tend to review every course that I play, to help other travelers or give important information about new local courses.

I review nearly every course I play. Some of the less impressive courses are the ones that deserve a review because a) they don't have many and b) the ones they do have are from locals who have only played a couple courses and may not have the context for where their course fits on the spectrum. If I see a course's average is 4.0 but the trusted reviewer average is 3.0, that helps. I want to play every course in my vicinity, but when I'm traveling, I want to play the best courses near where I'm going.

Speaking of Trivia: it's been a year to the day since the TR Stats page had an update, so when my dentist postponed me this morning, I updated the page. Congrats to 3 new Diamond Trusted Reviewers, 2 new Gold Trusted Reviewers, and 5 new Silver Trusted Reviewers in 2016! :clap: :thmbup:

Thanks for the update from one of the two new Gold Trusted Reviewers!

2010 - 9
2011 - 4
2012 - 3
2013 - 0
2014 - 13
2015 - 5
2016 - 19

On big road trips where I play a lot of courses, I usually only review the one or two courses that made the biggest impressions. I played over 60 new courses in 2016. I made an epic 12 States in 12 Days road trip where I only played one or two top rated courses in each state. I promised myself I would write a review for each of the 19 courses I played on the trip. I still have five more reviews to complete....However, I must go disc golf today so the reviews will have to be finished some other day.

NO. I am cursed with an analytical mind which means every course I play gets the whole nine yards. I turn the brain off for courses I play regularly but I try to review all the courses in context.
I swear Dave must be reading my mind. The same goes for me, word for word.

For me that's sort of an open ended question and could mean a lot of different things. If I am with friends then I am not likely to review the course because I will be valuing the social aspect of that round rather than focusing on the minutia of the course itself. If I am by myself then yes, things are quite different. I tend to pay close attention to holes with multiple lines and will often throw more than one disc off the tee really taking my time to soak in the course. I'll also take time to take notes believe it or not as I am playing on my iPhone so I can remember where the memorable or not so memorable spots were. This sounds tedious and kinda nutty I'm sure but for me its cathartic in a way I can't really explain. I just find it fun and a bit of a creative release to write reviews that are hopefully helpful while occasionally interjecting my rather odd sense of humor.

Now if by how I approach a course as in how I play it then no, I approach every course the same, just put forth my best effort all the time. I always try to throw the best shot possible.

-Dave

2007 = 12 reviews
2008 = 13 reviews
2009 = 19 reviews
2010= 43 reviews
2011=35 reviews
2012= 41 reviews
2013 = 20 reviews
2014 = 12 reviews
2015 = 20 reviews
2016 = 3 reviews
2017 = 1 review