• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trivial Trusted Reviewer Stats

2016: 2
2015: 4
2014: 15
2013: 11

Gonna try and find a happy median in 2017...

And btw most of the courses I play are in rural areas so I hardly ever get Likes for my reviews. So feel free to help me out!
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php

I have the same issue. I've got a number of courses in DFW, but just a few of those get likes. I've got some in New Mexico that I reviewed that no one has apparently even seen, since nobody likes any of the reviews on those courses.
I think I'm just a few likes away from trusted reviewer status, but I'm, not there yet.

--Edit

I take that back, somebody liked something of mine since I looked last, and I just got to 100. Yay!!

But to put the actual numbers down here

2016: 5
2015: 1 (not sure what happened this year)
2014: 6
2013: 10
2012: 7

Another question for you reviewers, do you approach a course differently knowing you will be giving a thorough review?

I don't even know sometimes if I'm giving a course a review when I start. I usually have to feel like I've got a feel for it before I'll review, and I don't always get that off of a course. My biggest problem are courses I've played a ton but never reviewed. I've got one in particular I need to review, but just have never gotten around to writing.

I made the mistake of reviewing a course I was way too close to. I walked it a few times with the designer before it went in, and I was just not able to review it rationally. I've completely re-written it, and it's better now, but I'm still stuck with the down votes. I've avoided reviewing the course I helped design, I don't think I'd judge it fairly.

Although I'm not a trusted viewer yet...

Some courses I play solely for the fact of "bagging" more courses. As I've only just recently started, I have a minuscule number compared to some.
As for reviews, some courses I do intend to review from the start, and it does change how I view the course during play. Generally a more critical eye I suppose.
Other courses, for whatever reason, I don't intend on reviewing right away.

I'm not sure what the variable is. Sometimes I'm in the mindset of reviewing, others I just want to throw

2016-57 reviews
2017-6 (pending reviews)

Although I'm not a trusted reviewer, I have some similar thoughts. I Had only played a couple handfuls of courses in Austin Texas until Dec of 2015. I knew I was moving to Florida in spring 2016, so I started playing a course every week before the impending move. The trill of playing new courses continued after my move to Florida. So far 54 new courses hit this year and will hit one more today. I don't foresee getting beyond 25 reviews in 2017, as I echo the comment of running out of nearby courses to play.

You're getting close to doubling your estimation and you're only half way through the year! :thmbup:

Another question for you reviewers, do you approach a course differently knowing you will be giving a thorough review?

Sure. I generally don't review a course that already has a lot of reviews as I fell I don't have much to add. Unless the course has changed radically or that after I played, I think that the reviews (which I previously read) are deficient in some way. I do try to review courses that have few or no reviews already as a service to other course baggers like myself. I think the locals will play regardless of reviews so only "we who travel" really care much about the reviews. So if I know in advance that I plan to review it, I pay more attention to how the course would play from multiple tees (if it has them) and in general try to notice things like amenities and elevation change and things that I personally may not care about. If I don't plan to review a course, I generally just throw and each hole is erased from my memory after it is played.

No.

When I approach a course, I'm thinking about playing disc golf and enjoying my round, and not necessarily about a review. However, if during the course of my round, a thought occurs to me that would be good to include in a review, I'll write it down on the back of the map I've printed.

Most of my reviews are simply post round impressions a particular course left with me. Sometimes I remember more detail, sometimes less. I seem to remember more about better courses... maybe something about the heightened state of emotion that comes with enjoyment makes a deeper impression.

It's harder for me to remember details about courses that are meh, other than that they felt meh.

Last edited:
Any of you reviewing New England courses? If so, which ones?

Yup! Some are a little old as I did more reviews in my earlier years of discing, but they're still valid and I update ratings when I feel it's warranted. Maple Hill, Squamanagonic, Top O The Hill, Bittersweet Ridge - North, and Smuttynose are some of them.

You're getting close to doubling your estimation and you're only half way through the year! :thmbup:

i went over my notes... I've played 12 courses so far this year that did not appear on DGCR in 2016. so that has helped. that said however, the bagger in me has really taken over. I'm at 42 reviews so far this year with 21 more played needing to write. so my estimate of 25 reviews, was a bit off. i'll probably have around 75 for the year.

side note, my 100th review is to be posted Wednesday.

i went over my notes... I've played 12 courses so far this year that did not appear on DGCR in 2016. so that has helped. that said however, the bagger in me has really taken over. I'm at 42 reviews so far this year with 21 more played needing to write. so my estimate of 25 reviews, was a bit off. i'll probably have around 75 for the year.

side note, my 100th review is to be posted Wednesday.

Dang, your courses played has passed mine. ROAD TRIP TIME!!!

Totally going off track here, but a question for you guys: I'm starting to get a little more serious about reviews, and one thing I'm wondering about is how to keep score integrity through my different reviews. E.g. I should feel that my 4.0 courses are comparable, or that my 2.5s are worse than my 3.0s. When you comparing 9-holes, various regions, etc., this gets kinda tricky. Do you trusted folks have any advice?

Feel free to prerube... No threads jumped out after several minutes of searching.

Totally going off track here, but a question for you guys: I'm starting to get a little more serious about reviews, and one thing I'm wondering about is how to keep score integrity through my different reviews. E.g. I should feel that my 4.0 courses are comparable, or that my 2.5s are worse than my 3.0s. When you comparing 9-holes, various regions, etc., this gets kinda tricky. Do you trusted folks have any advice?

Feel free to prerube... No threads jumped out after several minutes of searching.

Go with your gut. The more courses you play, the better feel you'll have for what's good and what's not. I've gone back and changed several ratings after more experience.

For me, awesome course design and other tangible things are great....but I like to rate the experience I had there (w/o regard for things I can't control, like weather). Sometimes a course just feels good to me, even if you know others may not exactly feel the same.

My favorite way to play a course is to do it with someone else who's opinion I trust. It's nice hearing another prospective and/or discussing my likes & dislikes while actually throwing the course. Some players keep notepads while playing, so they won't forget the small details. I sometimes do that, but not a majority of the time. Writing them out as soon as possible is my top tip. Doing this keeps my reviews from turning into vague recollections.

Star Doggy said "go with your gut," but like you, my gut tells me something I rated a 3.0 should be at least significantly better than something I rated a 2.5, and that something I try to reflect in my ratings.

Not saying you should make a big deal about half a disc, but if you rank your reviews by rating, then go down the list, the courses should more or less group together based on what drives your personal ratings. As you read down that list, if a particular course seems out of place to you, consider if you'd still give it the same rating.

Doing that made me reevaluate some of the 4.0's I doled out to local courses during my DGCR infancy, several of which I've updated to 3.5's.

Hope that helps.

After I got 50 or 60 reviews in, I sorted them all by rating and caught quite a few that didn't make any sense in the context of the other courses that had the same rating so I bumped them up or down to adjust. It was usually just a .5 move to get them more inline. These reviews come out over time, so as you play more courses and see more things the bar is going to move. It's just something that happens.

Lots of great comments.
Like Stardoggy - i have gone back and re-evaluated many of my early rated courses. as you continue to review to will continue to build a base of your likes and dislikes in a course.
Like Mr Butlertron said, throwing with another TR reviewer adds perspective and keeping notes will let you recall more detailed information rather than being more non-descript.
Like Three Putt and Boggynomore stated, i've sorted my ranking list, to see what doesnt fit.

I'll also add, playing low ranked courses really adds perspective, as well as reading TR reviews of top rated courses.