• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trivial Trusted Reviewer Stats

I dunno about that. Diamond is taking me forever...LoL.
Even longer when you consider most folks have to wait a while even after they get their 1000th :thmbup: because they don't have votes from enough different people (i.e. the all important "unique" voters).

I was fortunate to earn my diamond with #1000... so I thanked everyone who ever gave me a :thmbdown: because without those, I might not have had 200 unique voters. ;)

Last edited:
I'm kind of a DGCR newbie. You were just a verb until recently, when I found out you were a man/myth/legend noun. But seriously, any good threads on this subject?

Eh, none specifically to my knowledge. It just helps to go back and re-rate some courses that you were way off on after you get some more experience and a better idea of the best and worst, like New013 said.

To stay sort of consistent for me personally, I just go with what rating descriptor ("great" "good" "abysmal" etc) sounds right and choose the corresponding rating #. I try not to take off for 9 holers (if it's an awesome 9 holes I'll "5" it) unless it looks like there was room for 9 more good holes. I don't really take off for natural features or lack thereof that can't be helped (like a course at the beach having little elevation). I try to give the most weight to design quality (play, safety, organization, erosion prevention, etc), enjoyment, and polish (i.e. great tees vs okay tees, signage quality, etc).

I tend to keep an eye out for reviews by other Trusted Reviewers and am more likely to read (and give thumb-ups to) those reviews. I got your back, Stardoggy.

Since I prefer to read Trusted Reviews, I leave thumbs up for all the TR reviews I like. :thmbup:

It's a tall mountain to climb.

Yes. Yes it is.

Even longer when you consider most folks have to wait a while even after they get their 1000th :thmbup: because they don't have votes from enough different people (i.e. the all important "unique" voters).

I was fortunate to earn my diamond with #1000... so I thanked everyone who ever gave me a :thmbdown: because without those, I might not have had 200 unique voters. ;)

I worry about this one. So many of my courses are in WI that I'm sure a lot of my thumbs are repeat offenders. I have a bunch of Texas reviews to do, though (including Selah), so that should peg the meter a little bit.

It's a tall mountain to climb.

Yes. Yes it is.

Bronze, here I come! I suppose that's more of a speed bump...

Since I prefer to read Trusted Reviews, I leave thumbs up for all the TR reviews I like. :thmbup:

And this is why I want to be a TR when I grow up. I was looking at a review the other day thinking... 10 likes? I think mine is better, but I'm lucky to get 2 on most reviews! By the way Discette, I made it up to play Blackhawk/Redhawk recently, and your reviews were awesome. Thanks!

You and me both :thmbup: . The things we do to throw, am I right?

2013 - 10

2014 - 9

2015 - 15

2016 - 22

There are few courses not reviewed in this timeline that were played that I simply forgot to write or wrote and forgot to submit. Unfortunately, too much time had passed by the time I remembered. I fully expect to average 30 + reviews each year for the next 3 years or so.

I'm sitting at 35 courses played with 29 reviewed at the half way mark of 2017 :cool:

Wrote some reviews within the last couple weeks. Up to around 135 upvotes!!! Still have a couple courses yet to review, and planning another road trip within the next two weeks.

One question for the other trusted reviewers, do you get a lot of downvotes? If you look at my reviews, yes, I realize they are longer than most peoples, but they contain a lot of information, and I take a long time to write them. Is there a certain thing I should change? I want the highest volume of helpfuls, but I also want the most actual helpful review. Any advice from the ones higher than I am?

I just read a review of yours. (iron hill) It flowed well, it covers all the things i like to read in a review. beauty, how it plays, amenites, etc. In addition your review defends your rating. Is it too long? no. Although i do have a limit, and I will not read the epic long ones.

to me your review of iron hill was helpful.

i wouldnt sweat down votes. i think for reviews like yours, its that someone didn't like your rating. and since you cant please everyone, no reason to worry about it or you'll drive yourself nuts.

You may want to consider posting your rating views or scoring method on your info page.

I just read a review of yours. (iron hill) It flowed well, it covers all the things i like to read in a review. beauty, how it plays, amenites, etc. In addition your review defends your rating. Is it too long? no. Although i do have a limit, and I will not read the epic long ones.

to me your review of iron hill was helpful.

i wouldnt sweat down votes. i think for reviews like yours, its that someone didn't like your rating. and since you cant please everyone, no reason to worry about it or you'll drive yourself nuts.

You may want to consider posting your rating views or scoring method on your info page.

Thank you for that!

The system for me will be added in the next few days, working on the perfect wording for it, as well as a top courses, wishlist, etc...

Big fan of your reviews btw. Keep up the good work!

Wells is spot on: You can't please everyone, and some people will give you a :thmbdown: just because they disagree with your rating, regardless of the review's content.

If you happen to give a course the locals think is God's gift to the DG universe a 4.5 or a lowly 4.0, then expect a :thmbdown: or two.

The best you can do is be true to yourself and give the course the rating YOU think it deserves.

As long as you:
1) Provide meaningful info that helps travelers decide if it's a course for them (plus any tidbits that would be good to know if you're not from the area).
2) Are consistent with your ratings.
3) Support/explain how you arrived at your ratings.
... then you've written a quality review. The haters can pound sand.

Last edited:
Diamonds receive ~8% down-votes

Diamonds receive ~8% down-votes, so you shouldn't be surprised by having a similar number.

You write good reviews.

A piece of advice, however - don't include comments such as the following from your recent review: "This course is underrated, that is what it comes down to. Old reviews and people with bad taste bring the score down, but if you are a person who truly enjoys fine disc golf, play the course at Punderson. You won't regret it."

You are essentially inviting people who disagree with you about this course to down-vote you, as you've just insulted them. Review/rate the COURSE as you see it, but don't review/rate other reviews/players.

Wrote some reviews within the last couple weeks. Up to around 135 upvotes!!! Still have a couple courses yet to review, and planning another road trip within the next two weeks.

One question for the other trusted reviewers, do you get a lot of downvotes? If you look at my reviews, yes, I realize they are longer than most peoples, but they contain a lot of information, and I take a long time to write them. Is there a certain thing I should change? I want the highest volume of helpfuls, but I also want the most actual helpful review. Any advice from the ones higher than I am?

There's an unwritten rule here in DGCR apparently; draw any amount of attention to any particular review you write here in the forums for any reason at all and it's guaranteed down votes. A LOT OF THEM. Not because they truly felt your review was unhelpful but I theorize it's out of some 3rd grade level spite. I learned that the hard way. It go so bad one individual recently decided to create a fake account and down vote EVERY review I ever wrote. I noticed the rather dramatic increase negative votes and eventually got timg involved where he deleted the fake account and found the real account and disabled voting for the real account. So yeah, do not EVER point out any of your reviews for any reason at all no matter how reasonable or unreasonable it is otherwise hordes of people will jump on the "YOU'RE JUST A VOTE WHORE" bandwagon.

Now and then I get to a course that's rated significantly higher than what I think it deserves. I'll spell out my thoughts in what I think is a logical, well worded fashion and still get down vote from whom I suspect are more of the spiteful 3rd grade course homers. That's life. You cannot expect to express your real and honest opinion without someone complaining now and then. So my advice is to ignore the votes for the time being and be true to the review process first. The votes will follow. Sure a few will be down but in a way that validates what you are doing because you aren't just writing what everyone wants to hear. So be honest first. Votes are a distant second.

To summarize:

The first rule about reviewing is: Stick to reviewing and commenting on the course and not other reviews/reviewers.

And, complaining about thumbs down will yield more thumbs down (most of us had to learn this the hard way).

To summarize:

The first rule about reviewing is: Stick to reviewing and commenting on the course and not other reviews/reviewers.

And, complaining about thumbs down will yield more thumbs down (most of us had to learn this the hard way).

Exactly what I was saying lol.

Sometimes I get a little wordy. :D

To summarize:

Exactly what I was saying lol.

Sometimes I get a little wordy. :D

Diamonds receive ~8% down-votes, so you shouldn't be surprised by having a similar number.

You write good reviews.

A piece of advice, however - don't include comments such as the following from your recent review: "This course is underrated, that is what it comes down to. Old reviews and people with bad taste bring the score down, but if you are a person who truly enjoys fine disc golf, play the course at Punderson. You won't regret it."

You are essentially inviting people who disagree with you about this course to down-vote you, as you've just insulted them. Review/rate the COURSE as you see it, but don't review/rate other reviews/players.

Wells is spot on: You can't please everyone, and some people will give you a :thmbdown: just because they disagree with your rating, regardless of the review's content.

If you happen to give a course the locals think is God's gift to the DG universe a 4.5 or a lowly 4.0, then expect a :thmbdown: or two.

The best you can do is be true to yourself and give the course the rating YOU think it deserves.

As long as you:
1) Provide meaningful info that helps travelers decide if it's a course for them (plus any tidbits that would be good to know if you're not from the area).
2) Are consistent with your ratings.
3) Support/explain how you arrived at your ratings.
... then you've written a quality review. The haters can pound sand.

Thanks for all of the helpful hints. I know I shouldn't care about votes, and I do care more about writing helpful reviews rather than not, but sometimes a downvote hits me hard.

I've felt the same way about down thumbs, but have learned to remind myself that the question they're supposed to be answsering is, "was this review helpful?". They seem to be answering, "did I like/agree with this review?" That is completely different. I'd rather they message me why they took issue with what I wrote, but that has never happened. That's a shame, because one or both of us might then learn something going forward...

Latest posts