• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which DGCR member has played the most courses?

Shuie didn't call you a troll. YOU thought he called you a troll and then got all defensive about it. I didn't think he was talking about you as your comment was appropriate. I thought he was referring to the prevalence of doubters and skeptics here on DGCR. Which is exactly why I recommended documenting achievements.

(BTW, I thought your user name was Tripper because you went on a lot of road trips :D)

I try to go on a lot of road trips but work gets in the way a bit. My Norwegian grandmother gave me the nickname Tripp because I am a III and she could not pronounce my given name due to her accent. It got modified to Tripper because I used to do a lot of wilderness canoeing in my Old Town canoe. The model of the canoe? You guessed it the "Tripper". I will be selling my house soon and then the road tripping for disc golf will increase. So iI should be able to join the 1000 course club in like a decade or so.

Well in all fairness in my original comment I cast doubt that Deke had played all the courses he listed because he put 2 pitch and putt NC courses on his favorites list. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek but certainly seemed to be the start of the "I doubt Deke played all these courses" theme on the thread. So my apologies that the poorly worded shade i threw was misconstrued.

400 courses played for me.

I'm hoping to get to 450 by the end of 2018. I've basically played everything within 100 miles of me, so it's bagging trips to Chicago and work trips to other states that will help me get there.

I guess I need to re-evaluate my commitment to course bagging. Other than a few in the Raleigh/Durham area, I don't generally play courses that are not rated at least in the high 2's, with good reviews and good photos. As a result, I am stuck at 150 courses with nothing that fits my criteria within 2.5-3 hours. I know there are a bunch of meh 9 holers and rundown 18 hole courses I could bag in the 3 hour range but when I travel more than a hour from home I want to play a good course.

Should my focus be on bagging "good" courses or just getting all courses regardless of quality?

I guess I need to re-evaluate my commitment to course bagging. Other than a few in the Raleigh/Durham area, I don't generally play courses that are not rated at least in the high 2's, with good reviews and good photos. As a result, I am stuck at 150 courses with nothing that fits my criteria within 2.5-3 hours. I know there are a bunch of meh 9 holers and rundown 18 hole courses I could bag in the 3 hour range but when I travel more than a hour from home I want to play a good course.

Should my focus be on bagging "good" courses or just getting all courses regardless of quality?

Play. Them. All.

Not anymore :p

[sarcasm] Sssshhhh! You don't want to light a fire under the 5-6 people ahead of me on the Courses Played list, getting me in MORE trouble with my wife for chasing down more new courses played! :p [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness though, it is funny. The more I've moved "up the Courses Played ladder," the more I have encountered players who barely played anywhere new in years. Only once someone started getting close to their Courses Played count or even passed them? They would immediately play 30-50+ new courses...trying to get back to #__ in the rankings.

I'd be the same way, I suppose. You get to the point where you crack the Top 100, or "Page 1," or "Top Ten," and you don't want to fall off of said rung on the ladder! But I think a lot of people at/near the top just wish folks beneath them would stop bagging new courses...so they wouldn't need to burn more weekends and tanks of gas bagging more themselves.

Had I known my necrobump was going to generate so much "he said/She said butt hurt," I'd have linked a coupon for this when I resurrected the thread:
Preparation_H_Ointment_Main.png

Seems these folks are legit...now get to work bumping up your own courses played list.

But I think a lot of people at/near the top just wish folks beneath them would stop bagging new courses...so they wouldn't need to burn more weekends and tanks of gas bagging more themselves.

Those people are course bagging addicts. I know; I've met a few. They're not going to quit cold turkey, just because somebody else did. Certainly not with this website, feeding their habit with promises of more and more and more.....

It's the folks down here below you on the lists, getting jealouser and jealouser, who wish you guys would slow down a bit.

Had I known my necrobump was going to generate so much "he said/She said butt hurt," I'd have linked a coupon for this when I resurrected the thread:
Preparation_H_Ointment_Main.png

Seems these folks are legit...now get to work bumping up your own courses played list.

Or a coupon for.....

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 13
I have to question some of these numbers that people claim. I travel a lot and only have 153 documented, maybe 175 with courses that aren't listed. Granted I took a few years off during my 18 years of playing and I focus on quality over quantity but some of these numbers and time frames just don't jive for me.

If it means anything . . . Even I cant believe I've played almost 1000 courses in 9 years. It astounds me I have spent that much of my life travelling and playing and that I am still happily married through it all! I know I am not the most played per year of playing but basically ever since my first year playing where I hit like 115 courses . . . I have stated I want to maintain at least 100 new courses per year for as long as I am able. I better kick it in gear once I clear 1000 or I will fall behind that pace but I have plans on how to make it work! I am fortunate that both my schedule and my wifes schedule allows us to take a 3-4 week vacation every winter. The least I've played on one of those roadtrips is probably like 20 courses with the most being 101 in 32 days on the road. I also now am more selective and TRY to only play courses above 2.5 discs unless I have no other option or an old historic course is lower than 2.5.

If you met some of them, you might have fewer doubts. And even fewer if you'd tried to schedule a private course into their jam-packed disc golf vacations.

Some have been doing it a long time. Some take month-long vacations filled with nothing but disc golf. (One did this for a year). Few have sought glory for their claimed numbers; it's mostly the rest of us who keep bringing it up.

A good friend that I met though DGCR started playing around the same time that I did. I'm happy averaging about ten new courses a year. But he has played over 5X the number of courses that I have. He'll frequently send updates while on a trip. I wish I could play that much. It just doesn't work out for me. But I can definitely see how some people can accumulate these large numbers.

I found it interesting that on the old "most played" list I had actually played with 3 of the top 50. And I'm way off the beaten path, so I don't get to meet many other DGCR players.

Last edited:
I know when I first started playing there was not a goal of bagging a lot of courses. At some point, after I graduated from law school my dad who was also an avid disc golfer said we should try to make it on to page 1. Even at that time, 1000 wasn't in the plans. Over the years since vacations have turned into bagging trips. A 10-day trip to the right part of the country can equal 50-60 courses played fairly easily. It also helped living in the Midwest where there are tons of courses close together. Since I moved to Arizona this past summer, my bagging and playing have dropped dramatically. Might have something to do with there only being 60 some odd courses total in the state.

What is sort of interesting is while I lived in Minnesota at no point were my father and I the number one father son duo for most total courses played in the state, nor the county, nor the school district we lived in. Another father son duo (Sunshay and EricMJ) who lived one town over were. I played soccer with the other kid growing up and his dad coached a team I played on.

If it means anything . . . Even I cant believe I've played almost 1000 courses in 9 years. It astounds me I have spent that much of my life travelling and playing and that I am still happily married through it all! I know I am not the most played per year of playing but basically ever since my first year playing where I hit like 115 courses . . . I have stated I want to maintain at least 100 new courses per year for as long as I am able. I better kick it in gear once I clear 1000 or I will fall behind that pace but I have plans on how to make it work! I am fortunate that both my schedule and my wifes schedule allows us to take a 3-4 week vacation every winter. The least I've played on one of those roadtrips is probably like 20 courses with the most being 101 in 32 days on the road. I also now am more selective and TRY to only play courses above 2.5 discs unless I have no other option or an old historic course is lower than 2.5.

Boy, that is impressive, especially still being happily (?) married. :clap: We take family trips, but my course bagging is limited to early morning rounds (before she gets up) or late afternoon rounds when she is chilling.
We did go on one trip for her continuing education. I played in the mornings when she was in class, then we touristed in the afternoons. Got all 6 courses in Tucson on that trip.
When the kids head off to college later this year, my course bagging is going to change, one way or the other. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Just looked at the distribution of states among the top 25 visitors and 10/25 (40%) hail from Minnesota and Wisconsin with 7 from California and 3 from Texas. So 80% of our top 25 travelers from those 4 states.

Boy, that is impressive, especially still being happily (?) married. :clap: We take family trips, but my course bagging is limited to early morning rounds (before she gets up) or late afternoon rounds when she is chilling.
We did go on one trip for her continuing education. I played in the mornings when she was in class, then we touristed in the afternoons. Got all 6 courses in Tucson on that trip.
When the kids head off to college later this year, my course bagging is going to change, one way or the other. :popcorn:

Both my kids are in college now and becoming adults so yeah my bagging has ramped up. I also have an understanding awesome wife who lets me go on dg trips with my friends. I can't compete with the course played leaders, but they are the elite few that we aspire to but that most of us won't reach. Don't be jelly get out there and try to play them all, that's what I'm going to be trying to do!

All I can do these days is hope they visit me during their quest.

I have fine memories of playing with many of the 1000-coursers, and I never had to fuel up my car.