• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you watch a local tournament (as a spectator) you weren't playing in?

randomatt

Bogey Member
Say your local club puts on a B tier event that you aren't playing in for whatever reason.

Would you go out and watch it?

If you wouldn't go, what (if anything) would bring you out to the course?

I would go but that may be because I am so new to the game that I am just excited to see my first truly proficient disc golfers in person to see what they can do. :popcorn:

Say your local club puts on a B tier event that you aren't playing in for whatever reason.

Would you go out and watch it?

If you wouldn't go, what (if anything) would bring you out to the course?

If I wasn't playing in it....and I knew someone playing in it....and I had the time and I was interested....yes.

Sure, why not. I have watched a few events at the local courses. You never know who will show up. Plus, you get to meet people for places you don't normally get to play.

I usually volunteer for more events than I play. Means I'm setting up the registration table and tent, sorting players' packs, adding up cards, and [my favorite] spotting on blind holes. Get to see everyone throw at least one hole. Kinda like spectating.
And I usually get a players pack for my efforts. :D

Nah. Honestly if I have the time to be out spectating I'm either going to play in the tournament or go out and play some new courses.

No, I wouldn't, because my very presence would be diminishing the experience for people who actually paid an entry fee. That, and once you've played a few tournaments, the idea of spectating at one, particularly a rudimentary one, is almost as exciting as kicking dirt.

Now, volunteering as a spotter or doing something for the TD to take some of the load off of his/her back? Perhaps.

I usually volunteer for more events than I play. Means I'm setting up the registration table and tent, sorting players' packs, adding up cards, and [my favorite] spotting on blind holes. Get to see everyone throw at least one hole. Kinda like spectating.
And I usually get a players pack for my efforts. :D
This is what I usually do. I usually don't even get a "thank you" from the organizer, much less a players pack.

I would.. I have also been looking for other tourneys to volunteer for just to be there and helping out.. I'm only a few months into DG so I would go out to spectate or volunteer to help out.. :D

I volunteer to help out with every tourney I can when I can't play them. Shoot I usually end up helping out even if I am playing the tourney. I also have a tendency to show up with my camera and take pics of the tourney if I can't play.

Nothing could bring me out to a B-tier to spectate.

Like others have said, I would consider spotting, or being involved somehow.

B-tier? Yep, I came out to the Bluegrass Open last year to help spot on hole 15 at Idlewild. If you've played it, you know how tall the rough gets in June. Unfortunately last year was a bad one for ticks. :gross:

Dan was awesome though: gave me a player's pack for helping out, and let me play in the ring of fire after, and I won a disc and some cool swag there.

In all, I'm saying that sometimes there are reasons for volunteering instead of playing. I'm not sure I'd go to just watch. Even though I'd love to see some of the touring pros, I think I'd probably offer to help as a spotter so I could see them all once through, and the TD wouldn't have to worry about one of their many chores. :clap:

No.

Like others, I've watched tournaments, or parts of tournaments, that I was running or helping out with. The experience demonstrated to me that there's no way I'd watch, without the other reasons for being there.

That's for local events. I've joined the gallery for the USDGC, and enjoyed myself.

In a couple weeks, I'll go to watch one afternoon of the Wintertime Open Pro weekend (a B-Tier this year) since it's right by my house, and I'd like to see Lizotte (and a couple of the other Pro's) bomb it in person.

I would watch and cheer all the guys in my league on.

I rather enjoy watching, but volunteering is where it is at. I play in most tournaments and if I am not playing it is usually because I can't make the second day or because I have something else going on so the number of times this would happen is rare. We do have a bunch of two day splits popping up around here and I will absolutely play one day and volunteer the next if I can.