• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Las Vegas Challenge Feb 24-27

Now I am a little confused. DGN just sent me a link for the live stream of the FPO round today. I am not a DGN subscriber, but did signup for a PDGA account, from the link sent to me by the PDGA yesterday. Is the live round free for everyone today? Is is available on YouTube? I did not find it.

Clearly sweatpants are the biggest story of this tournament. At first I thought the criticism was superficial and unimportant. However, I've been digging into the stats, and these numbers don't lie:

• Sweatpants have 2 legs.
  • Ricky is 2 throws off the lead.
  • Ricky threw 2 points worse than his rating.
These are obviously corellated and cannot possibly be the product of coincidence. It's a real shame to see Wysocki giving up on his career like this. You would think Dynamic would have stipulated better legwear in his contract. Hopefully they are scrambling to get him a tailor before Round 2.

That's just sloppy programing. If ratings depend on knowing which layouts are physically the same, then we need a field to identify which physical layouts are the same. Changes in the name of the layout or the pars should not reduce the amount of information available to the ratings process. That field could be most of the current layout name, but with par and notes (like "Friday's Round") in separate fields.
Two potential factors in play

1. Experienced TDs have learned they should provide two different layout names for FPO and MPO, respectively, for the same layout when they are playing the same mostly wide-open course with the tee time format. Why? Because the course can play significantly different due to wind direction and speed changes and possible rain/snow throughout the day. It just so happens that yesterday, the winds were calm enough that both fields produced essentially the same ratings for the same score. This is just additional confirmation that different player pools with significantly different average ratings will produce virtually equal course ratings within statistical expectations. Which leads to...

2. When MPO and FPO and any other divisions for that matter are playing one layout with shotgun starts, only one layout should be indicated for ratings calculations. However, because some TDs believe a lower rated division will not produce round ratings as high as higher rated divisions, i.e., MPO, they will artificially name the MPO layout differently from the other divisions, especially Ams, thinking the MPO round ratings will be better when only MPO propagators are producing their ratings. More times than not, this will backfire because Ams as a group are more likely to shoot slightly worse in tournament play than pros on tougher courses which will slightly boost ratings for the pros when the ams are included with the MPO rating pool.

Was Natalie Ryan sponsored by Prodigy last year or did I dream that? It appears she is now open bag.

Now I am a little confused. DGN just sent me a link for the live stream of the FPO round today. I am not a DGN subscriber, but did signup for a PDGA account, from the link sent to me by the PDGA yesterday. Is the live round free for everyone today? Is is available on YouTube? I did not find it.

I assume you figured it out, but you can watch for free on DGN. You just have to create a password matched with your PDGA email.

Today is back on DGN.

Two potential factors in play

1. Experienced TDs have learned they should provide two different layout names for FPO and MPO, respectively, for the same layout when they are playing the same mostly wide-open course with the tee time format. Why? Because the course can play significantly different due to wind direction and speed changes and possible rain/snow throughout the day. It just so happens that yesterday, the winds were calm enough that both fields produced essentially the same ratings for the same score. This is just additional confirmation that different player pools with significantly different average ratings will produce virtually equal course ratings within statistical expectations. Which leads to...

2. When MPO and FPO and any other divisions for that matter are playing one layout with shotgun starts, only one layout should be indicated for ratings calculations. However, because some TDs believe a lower rated division will not produce round ratings as high as higher rated divisions, i.e., MPO, they will artificially name the MPO layout differently from the other divisions, especially Ams, thinking the MPO round ratings will be better when only MPO propagators are producing their ratings. More times than not, this will backfire because Ams as a group are more likely to shoot slightly worse in tournament play than pros on tougher courses which will slightly boost ratings for the pros when the ams are included with the MPO rating pool.

1. Since the decision of whether to combine two rounds on the same layout is statistical, there's no need to provide different layouts for different fields or start times.

2. And that's why the physical layout should be a separate field, to prevent TDs from hurting player's round ratings by their misguided attempts to pump up the round ratings. Take the idea of manipulating ratings out of their hands. Give them one less thing to worry about. Or, something to hide behind when the players complain.

Anybody ever have a shot knocked down by a goose on any pro coverage?

The course I play the most is overran by them. The tournament there is even called the Muscovy Open. And it isn't uncommon at all to fire off a drive and have a flock fly across a fairway and knock down your shot.

1. Since the decision of whether to combine two rounds on the same layout is statistical, there's no need to provide different layouts for different fields or start times.

2. And that's why the physical layout should be a separate field, to prevent TDs from hurting player's round ratings by their misguided attempts to pump up the round ratings. Take the idea of manipulating ratings out of their hands. Give them one less thing to worry about. Or, something to hide behind when the players complain.
The PDGA hasn't programmed the "combine/not combine" decision within a single tee time round played by different divisions to my knowledge. Changing layout names is the only way to have it done automatically.

While setting up separate database fields for both a physical layout and allowing it to have multiple names/pars could work, it won't stop manipulation. What TDs have done is change one hole shorter for the non-MPO divisions so there are two physically different layouts thinking the MPOs would get better ratings. With every example I've discovered, the Am ratings were typically higher than the pros, even on the shorter layout because they still played the other holes slightly worse on average than their ratings.

Anybody ever have a shot knocked down by a goose on any pro coverage?

The course I play the most is overran by them. The tournament there is even called the Muscovy Open. And it isn't uncommon at all to fire off a drive and have a flock fly across a fairway and knock down your shot.
Saw a drive hit a goose in a flock flying low across a hole and it resulted in an ace on a saucer cone basket. I nailed an unseen goose in the neck with a roller during competition. Unfortunately, neither shot on camera.

As others have mentioned, I relish the opportunity to listen to Elaine King on the mic. A legend of the game and she is willing to share a library of insight.

Ian said he heard Finland is considered the happiest country in the world.
Elaine says she believes Finland has the highest suicide rate.
They talked their way out of it.
It was a very funny exchange! :clap:

Morbid as this may sound, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

If everyone who's unhappy commits suicide, everyone left should be reasonably happy.

Just pointing out a logical observation, rather than condoning or commenting on anything.

They talked their way out of it.
It was a very funny exchange! :clap:

From Wiki: "The most suicidal state in the entire world is by a wide margin Greenland, with Lesotho being the most suicidal country in 2019. Africa is the most suicidal region in the world, while the Eastern Mediterranean is the least."

Latest posts