• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Race Aces

Do they count or not?

• Yes

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • No

Votes: 53 51.0%

• Total voters
Well, if I decide to count my ace race aces, I'm up from 3 to 7 in one day. Either way, it was a ton of fun, and anyone who still has a chance to play in one of these events should definitely try to make it.

They may be aces but I wouldnt count it as an ace just like I cant count my CTP ace. It doesnt count if it is a made up hole. It can be duplicated but what are you gonna say . . . I aced this basket from here as you walk by it on your next casual round at that course?

I just dont consider them worthy of mention when discussing aces, sure a great shot but not a true ace!

I wouldn't count an Ace Race ace. My buddy hit one last weekend, we were yelling and screaming for him, but nobody signed the disc or anything.

At the Ace race I went to, the holes were between ~75' and 150'. I've played a course with similar lengths (Nims Park, Rock Falls, IL) but was kinda glad I didn't ace since the course was kind of a joke. Imagine bragging about an 85' ace.

To qualify the previous statements: I have only one ace and it was on a short hole (166').

I think they count, they are sanctioned events and there are tons of courses that have holes shorter than the typical ace race fare. Besides, what would you call ace race events if they weren't legitimate aces?

Who sanctions an Ace Race? I don't see how it could be the PDGA, as we didnt' have to give member #'s or pay an extra fee. I don't think Discraft counts as a sanctioning body.

Who sanctions an Ace Race? I don't see how it could be the PDGA, as we didnt' have to give member #'s or pay an extra fee. I don't think Discraft counts as a sanctioning body.

It is not sanctioned by anyone.
It is an event put on by Discraft.
It's not considered a tourney. Discraft likes to call it an "event."

I Aced one at the event that I participated in, but don't consider it an "official" Ace, because it was from a shortened tee.

Some of those holes are moved from 80 feet out. Sometimes they add like 20 baskets all in the area to increase the odds.

They do everything they can to get you an ace.

No way they count.

It's an event sponsored by Discraft with the word "Ace" in the title. And you're throwing a single unfamiliar disc -- and it only -- at an unfamiliar layout. Seems to me these aces should count as much as any other.

No way do they count. Has to be a legit hole location. I went to the one this year and some were legit putts to the basket. Unless it's the original hole location, or one of the actual variations by the course designer, I say no go

No way do they count. Has to be a legit hole location. I went to the one this year and some were legit putts to the basket. Unless it's the original hole location, or one of the actual variations by the course designer, I say no go

Exactly. It's like the par 3 contest the day before the Masters (cue the CBS music) where they're teeing off from the middle of the fairway. Plus it's a different atmosphere where you're playing all or nothing, which is not how you'd play in a legit round.

Just out of curiosity, what's the purpose of an ace race anyway? Is it a fund-raiser like the Ice Bowl or what?

I think the purpose is to get their product out to the public and see if its worth producing on a larger scale

my question is since my ace was from a yellow tee (shortest of all three tees on our rec. course) but a already established tee would you consider it one cuz i never have.

IMHO, if you hit at an Ace Race, and the holes are basically upshot length I wouldn't count it. But if you hit something from more than 150 ft - that's an Ace. That's something I'd write on the back of the disc.

Obviously, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Some will differ from me, but personally, the only Ace I count is the one I threw during an actual round.
Counting 2nd shots or practice shots seems like calling a ball you hit over the fence during batting practice a Home Run.

I've "Aced" holes #4 (90ft), #5 (73ft) and #6 (134ft) at Civic Center - but I didn't write anything on my disc for those.

FYI I did not vote, because I think it depends on the length. In my book, upshots are not Aces. Lost of people put their 100-130 ft 2nd shot in the basket. Not every day, but it happens fairly frequently.

Last edited:
Well I hit two aces in my local Ace Race yesterday, and I'm "counting" them. I got my whole card to sign the disc I aced with, and I'm proud of it. If I ever hit an ace "on-an-established-hole-over-200'-on-an-established-course-in-a-PDGA-sanctioned-tournament-with-at-least-10-witnesses-including-a-notary-public-while-my-left-hand-is-tied-behind-my-back," well yeah, that will be even more exciting, but I'm not going to let it diminish what I've got. :p

Lewis broke the forum! Why is your post so wide dude??

Don't let the ace snobs diminish your accomplishments, especially when there ARE "real" holes that are shorter than ace race holes. Besides, if you could put that flaming piece of flamingo **** into the basket yesterday then you should feel really good about yourself!!

Lewis broke the forum! Why is your post so wide dude??

Don't let the ace snobs diminish your accomplishments, especially when there ARE "real" holes that are shorter than ace race holes. Besides, if you could put that flaming piece of flamingo **** into the basket yesterday then you should feel really good about yourself!!

I actually kind of liked the grippier version for my flick shot. That's how I got my two aces. As for the wide post question, your browser probably isn't wrapping the hyphens to the next line. Tried Firefox?

I say they count, but my thing with them wouldnt be the distance. Its more of how you play 36 of them in an Ace Race that gets the aces. Like a cubby ace but not using the same hole over and over.

Still; I call it just a regular ace

I think that Ace Race aces count for your Ace Race aces. I think they are definitely different because you don't play out the hole. Therefore, you don't have to take putts or any other approach shots and just concentrate on your tee shot. Your muscle memory and release can stay exactly the same for almost every shot and not have to change it up for an approach or putt. Also, you are using the same disc, so that adds to the consistency that will help you get aces.

Also, you aren't under the "pressure" of scoring the round like a normal round. Not that there is a lot of pressure when throwing a normal round, but generally I try and get my best score every round, therefore, I try to just get the disc there for a deuce or set up shot and if an ace occurs, then that is bonus. Plus, you don't get as tired playing for aces as you do playing a round.

I just don't think they count toward your regular ace count because all you are going for is aces. If someone went around a course and just shot for aces and got one, I would think less of that ace because he didn't play out the whole course. It just seems that the ace is way more special if it happens during a round.

For the record, I don't have an ace nor an Ace Race ace (participated in Cleveland, WI 2009). If I would have nailed an ace at the Ace race, I would have told people I hit an ace at an Ace Race. I am not saying that it is an easy feat, but I believe Ace Races make getting aces easier and takes the magical moment down a notch because that is the only thing that you are scoring.