• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frisbee Golf vs Disc Golf?

maybe not

Discs and Frisbees are the same thing. All the DGCR tears in the world won't change that fact.

They may well be similar, but they are not the same thing. Just as a Cessna-150 and an F-22 are both airplanes, but they have vast performance differences.

Frisbees are good for ultimate, free-style, playing on the beach (unless you are in LA), and playing with your dog. But a golf disc is much better for our game.

While it is undeniable that Wham-o played an irreplaceable role in the development of the game, it has gone beyond that. Calling it only frisbee golf, leaves out the many other companies and individuals who have changed and shaped the sport.

With more courses, more integration into the schools, more media exposure, basically more of everything, it will grow regardless of what you call it. :popcorn:

They may well be similar, but they are not the same thing. Just as a Cessna-150 and an F-22 are both airplanes, but they have vast performance differences.
That's not an argument for calling it disc golf over Frisbee golf, that's an argument for me calling it "Wizard-Roc-Gazelle-Avenger-OLF-Spirit golf" over disc golf.

Unless your analogy compares an item where a brand name is normally substituted for the generic item (e.g. Kleenex, Rollerblade, Aspirin, Jello, Velcro, Ziplock, Band-aid, Q-Tip, Allen wrench, Spandex, AstroTurf, Crock Pot, etc.) then it probably isn't very good.

You know you've got it pretty good when you can piss away time quibbling about what to call your hobbies. It's funny that anyone even cares.

not what I meant

That's not an argument for calling it disc golf over Frisbee golf, that's an argument for me calling it "Wizard-Roc-Gazelle-Avenger-OLF-Spirit golf" over disc golf.

Unless your analogy compares an item where a brand name is normally substituted for the generic item (e.g. Kleenex, Rollerblade, Aspirin, Jello, Velcro, Ziplock, Band-aid, Q-Tip, Allen wrench, Spandex, AstroTurf, Crock Pot, etc.) then it probably isn't very good.

I was thinking more of a class of object, general aviation vs. jet fighters. They are different things with many makers of both.

Frisbee is, and always will remain, a trademarked property. This (despite its iconic status) makes calling it frisbee golf, a bit like calling it Wilson, because they make the ball. Disc golf places it in the generic, like "football" which is a term that covers everything from the NFL, to your local friday night hs contest, to the stuff you play in the backyard and basement. Just like "disc golf". :popcorn:

back in the day when wham-o (frisbee) put on a turny . for 50k. and put money in to this game we called it frisbee golf then innova got into it and "whamo "no more big money in the game,cuz there good at taking are money but dont put any money in for prize money!

The thread needs a bucket for all the tears being shed...

This (despite its iconic status) makes calling it frisbee golf, a bit like calling it Wilson, because they make the ball.
But no one calls a volleyball a "Wilson" even if it's made by Wilson.

Imagine how pretentious someone would sound if they went out of their way not to use any of those trademarked names I listed and corrected you every time you did it. That's how disc golfers who get mad when it's called Frisbee golf sound to everyone else. The best is when they do that and then ask if you want to play Hacky Sack with them.

Oh, another thing I just realised :

If they want to let everybody use the name Frisbee instead of flying disc, then I welcome the change.

If they want to get back into the busines and we still can only call their products Frisbees and the rest must still be called flying discs, then screw & boycot them. 100 times.

thats like solving a problem with a problem

the thing is for me is that the name "FRISBEE" is associated with recreation and shirtless men on the beach with a cooler and a few cans of silicone (or the many other recreational things done with a "FRISBEE" *in the eyes of the general public*) now I FEEL ( *complete opinion* ) that when you use the term *FRISBEE* in association with {DISC GOLF} your opening up the person who has never played before to automatically think - : ohh its just throwing a frisbee around:, and to not take the sport aspect to our game seriously, therefor i believe separating the terms is the only way for the game/sport to truly be taken seriously, but also can be understood by the newcomers that no one has a gun to your head on the tee, and it doesnt have to be taken all that seriously, BUT it is a sport/game that has ALL forms of competition, like most sports in the US

I don't take myself too seriously when I am hanging with friends throwing frisbees in the woods and sippin' a few cold ones. I don't expect others to either.

Lets just call it FLYING PLASTIC SUPER FUN TIME BASKET GAME. End thread/

Another proponent for changing the name of 'Volleyball' to 'Wilsonball', apparently.

Volleyball (I can make an educated guess) gets its name from the fact that it's a ball and you volley it back and forth across the net - the object + what you do with said object = Actionobject

Our new title is Throwdisc

/thread.

By me, we use the term "discing" a lot, so if it has to be explained to someone, I naturally say disc golf next. If they still don't get it, I'll say frisbee golfing or frolfing, and that usually rings the bell. Whatever. If said person asks more about it, I'll go into the differences between discs and frisbees, but that's about it.

I feel I'm allowed to be anal-retentive as long as I don't impose it on others. :)

Latest posts