• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

*Inaugural DGCR March Madness Mold Championship*

More popular discs. I think one company could have more than one disc in each class but not anything crazy like all discraft mids or Innova drivers. Just the most popular 16 of each class obviously some people won't like the choices.

oooo I like that one. But isnt there more than 16 brands?

I don't know if this has already been said but next year each section (east, west, north, south) should be putter, midrange, fairway, and distance driver so we know the most popular of each type of disc and the best overall disc instead of roc vs buzzz like this is bound to be.

I also suggested this, way back when, but I didn't even see the thread until the brackets had already been made. I kinda felt butt-hurt when nobody patted me on the back for the obviously brilliant idea.

The hard part setting it up was for the OP to decide what molds to put in and how to include all the different types of discs. Who goes in, who gets left out, should there be more drivers than putters? Problem solved with one region being putter, one mid, etc. and the final four being the winner from each category.

One way to decide who makes it to the dance is to have a conference championship, of sorts, and let that set your bracket for you. Start with 32 molds of each type with no seed based matchups, that way almost everybody's fav at least gets a mention and more manufacturer/molds can be represented, and then the top 16 based on popularity make it into the overall championship. The popularity of the 16 that get the most votes then determines the seeding and matchups, instead of it being arbitrarily decided by one person's opinion. My 2 cents, but it's fun no matter how you do it.

*Sorry, just realized I put the quotes from the thread in reverse order.

Last edited:
I also suggested this, way back when, but I didn't even see the thread until the brackets had already been made. I kinda felt butt-hurt when nobody patted me on the back for the obviously brilliant idea.

12597961935vRqX5.jpg

lol all in good fun

Jake just brought up a great idea which I like but I will leave up to the masses. Something like a hall of fame so that top 4 this year are inducted to the Hall of Fame and next year we can get away from the inevitable buzz roc matchup. The mold class defining each bracket also sounds like a great idea to me. But again, I'm all about leaving it up to polls.

Edit : maybe even the top two for hall of fame would be better than top four.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. You definitely can't just have the winner of each year taken out, or we'd have the Roc win this year, the Buzzz next year, then the Teebird, then the Leopard, and so on. This way the Roc v Buzzz conversation will only happen this one year. I love it.

I really like jusractnormal's idea for seeding. That would work good and be fair and could easily just be a poll on here.

This seems like a good idea to me. I think Roc, Buzzz, and TeeBird may always end up in the final four if we don't have some rules for exclusion.
that was exactly what i thought, roc buzz teebird going round and round

I really like jusractnormal's idea for seeding. That would work good and be fair and could easily just be a poll on here.

One way to decide who makes it to the dance is to have a conference championship, of sorts, and let that set your bracket for you. Start with 32 molds of each type with no seed based matchups, that way almost everybody's fav at least gets a mention and more manufacturer/molds can be represented, and then the top 16 based on popularity make it into the overall championship. The popularity of the 16 that get the most votes then determines the seeding and matchups, instead of it being arbitrarily decided by one person's opinion. My 2 cents, but it's fun no matter how you do it.

*Sorry, just realized I put the quotes from the thread in reverse order.

i think next year it will be a voting poll in which everyone submits their own 64 ideals maybe a month / week prior, and top 64 move into the bracket.

hooray! Finally my interweb skills have been 3rd party validated! :clap:

Although, I did just realize that if you were to put 32 molds of a given type together and then have a popularity contest to see which ones will be put into their side of the bracket, then there would be no need for the bracket and you might as well just skip to the final 4. You'd need to mix the mold types for any of the other rounds to matter. So maybe I'm not so brilliant after all. :wall:

To explain what I mean, think of this. Imagine mids are north and fairways are south. You put up a poll and have people vote for their faves narrow 32 down to 16 to go into their respective brackets, seeded based on popularity. Roc wins top seed in the north and teebird is top seed in the south (naturally). If the same people vote on the same matchups again i.e. mid v/s mid/ fairway v/s fairway, the #1 seed will always win b/c it was the most popular to begin with. The mid that was most popular out of 32 choices will still be the most popular out of 16 choices, and 8 choices and so on. There would never be any "upsets" b/c the initial popularity contest to determine the #1 seed will still be the most popular given fewer and fewer choices. See what I mean? Might as well skip to the final 4. :thmbdown:

The only way to do it is to start with 32 and have a popularity poll to determine seeding of that disc respective to its "peers". Then you gotta mix the 16 winners up. Putter v/s Driver, Mid v/s Fairway and so on.... all mixed up. It's still very likely that the #1 seeds will win their bracket. If they don't then you will end up with something like 3 drivers and 1 mid in the final 4 or 2 putters and 2 drivers, something crazy like that but at least it will make for some interesting matchups along the way.

Sometimes what initially appears to be a brilliant idea becomes a complete pile of sh*t on closer examination. :\

Just voted on the Round of 16. I'm in 61st place... that's what I get for picking molds I throw (i.e. voting with my heart, and not my head). It still have a few decent horses in the race: Leopard, Challenger, Buzzz... but those early rounds killed me.

FTFY:
I also suggested this, way back when, but I didn't even see the thread until the brackets had already been made. I kinda felt butt-hurt when nobody patted me on the backside for the obviously brilliant idea.
that oughta make your sore butt feel a bit better.:p

but you did have a great idea.

Last edited:
Was j looking and notice that the op pretty much nailed it as the only disc outside a four seed to make the sweet 16 is the gator, and its a 5.

Yup. Pure cynicism was what I used to fill mine out.

I think what he meant thou is that since 95% of top seeds are still in that I seeded them correctly (with help from all u guys in this thread of course)

Round of blowouts

Round of 16 Results

Roc 133 Votes 81.10%
def
PD 31 Votes 18.9%

Leopard 133 Votes 81.60%
def
Wasp 30 Votes 18.40%

Destroyer 127 votes 77.91%
def
Rhnyo 36 votes 22.09%

Eagle 99 votes 60.37%
def
Comet 65 votes 39.63%

Buzz 119 votes 73.46%
def
Firebird 43 votes 26.54%

Wizard 118 votes 72.39%
def
Wraith 45 votes 27.61%

Aviar137 votes 83.54%
def
Gator 27 votes 16.46%

Teebird 149 votes 91.98%
def
Challenger 13 votes 8.02%

I think I've decided on payout. Obviously the higher you rank in the final standings and you get your choice of anything below where you finish but IE 2nd can't choose the comet.

1st. Pro Rhyno or ESP Comet
2nd. 1st Run Vulcan or 1st Run Ape
3rd. Star Katana
4th. KC Roc
5th. KC Roc

All are brand new.

Thanks to 'Jake Master' for donating a roc. I may still get one or two more donations.