• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this a cool picture or offensive?

Doesn't offend me at all. But I am one who finds PC offensive.

Here's a good video:

4:30 gets me every time.

Last edited:
I don't like Toby Keith actually. In general I'm not a big country music fan, (although I do love Zac Brown Band) and while I could be suckered in by you trying to use stereotypes to bait an argument, instead I'll pass on some wisdom imparted to me as I grew up a (proud) Navy brat.

When our men and women serving don't agree with the president, they're told to "salute the uniform, not the man". The president is the Commander In Chief of the military, and so everyone else must respect that position.

I advise you to do the same. I don't like that the same people who defend your right to bash their choices are the ones that come back to the short end of the stick financially, and oftentimes mentally...but I thank every damn one of them for their service and I respect the hell out of their choice to intentionally put themselves in a position to risk their lives for me and you.

To any of our disc golfing vets on here, sincerely thank you for everything you've sacrificed for all of us.
I didn't mean to seem like I was personally attacking you. I only quoted you b/c you quoted me. None of this personal obviously, the Toby Keith line was an admitted low blow. :D

But...

You fit into the stereotype exactly, the "soldiers are beyond reproach or criticism" stereotype, the second you got defensive about my statement that people love the military too much. Hook, line and sinker.

I don't have to salute jack squat. I've pledged no allegiances since my brain progressed to the point where it processes critical thought and I've certainly not taken any oaths to serve the President in any military capacity save for signing up for the draft (which I would've dodged in the event of an actual draft*) b/c that's better than risking jail time. I'm not thanking any vets for their service but I'm not treating them poorly either, even though their unwitting agency has enabled the government to strengthen its authoritarianism at the expense of the citizenry. Should the Holocaust survivors have thanked Nazi soldiers for their service? Of course not but that's the logic you're espousing, we just haven't gotten to those extremes yet.

*unless it's a war that's an actual direct threat to me and mine, not some "fight the terrorists there so we don't have to fight them here" logical fallacy.
Everyone railing against Bro D, you do realize that in his post he basically said that vets deserve more care when they get back.

His problem seems to lie in the fact that certain members of the government have no problem sending our troops off to war but not taking care of them once they are done with their service. Plenty of lip service is paid to supporting the troops, yet they don't follow through on that.

Instead of getting all up in arms, maybe take a step back first.
Thanks for your reading comprehension, you're correct. I absolutely hate the government using all of our tax dollars to send these people to places with more vowels than consonants in their names, to have them killed, mangled and/or mentally harmed only to drop them back into our laps like broken playthings and then have the audacity to ask us to shell out charity to fix and house them. If the government isn't going to properly respect and take care of its veterans then why should I outside of humanism/Christian thing to do?
Who is railing? Who is up in arms?All I said mentioned in my original statement was how vets with PTSD from the Iraq war were coming back changed into a different person than the one that left and many wind up divorced and living without their family. Then Bro started railing about unjust wars tries the old stereo type trick by telling us to keep listening to Toby Keith and I was just talking about damaged troop losing everything, not freaking politics. Just because someone takes the side of vets that need help doesn't mean that that person fits Daves red neck stereotype. :|
I'm railing, I'll admit it. ;) I know I'm the crazy sounding purveyor of unpopular opinion in this thread but I'm use to it.

It isn't separable, how do you think vets end up this way? It has nothing to do with politics, it's right there in black and white. Regardless of donkeys or elephants in charge, the government has a very obvious track record of exploiting military personnel. The awful VA hospitals are testament alone to this.

I get the tribalism/brotherhood thing military people relate to and the military is a necessity but I will not be kowtowed into the romanticism of the military mystique. They're people, not superheroes. Most of the vets I know or have known are pretty good people. The ones that were scum are in the minority but scum nonetheless. I'll continue to treat good people well and bad people better than they deserve but the uniform plays no factor whatsoever. Ranking people is ridiculous IMO.

I didn't mean to seem like I was personally attacking you. I only quoted you b/c you quoted me. None of this personal obviously, the Toby Keith line was an admitted low blow. :D

But...

You fit into the stereotype exactly, the "soldiers are beyond reproach or criticism" stereotype, the second you got defensive about my statement that people love the military too much. Hook, line and sinker.

I don't have to salute jack squat. I've pledged no allegiances since my brain progressed to the point where it processes critical thought and I've certainly not taken any oaths to serve the President in any military capacity save for signing up for the draft (which I would've dodged in the event of an actual draft*) b/c that's better than risking jail time. I'm not thanking any vets for their service but I'm not treating them poorly either, even though their unwitting agency has enabled the government to strengthen its authoritarianism at the expense of the citizenry. Should the Holocaust survivors have thanked Nazi soldiers for their service? Of course not but that's the logic you're espousing, we just haven't gotten to those extremes yet.

*unless it's a war that's an actual direct threat to me and mine, not some "fight the terrorists there so we don't have to fight them here" logical fallacy.

Thanks for your reading comprehension, you're correct. I absolutely hate the government using all of our tax dollars to send these people to places with more vowels than consonants in their names, to have them killed, mangled and/or mentally harmed only to drop them back into our laps like broken playthings and then have the audacity to ask us to shell out charity to fix and house them. If the government isn't going to properly respect and take care of its veterans then why should I outside of humanism/Christian thing to do?

I'm railing, I'll admit it. ;) I know I'm the crazy sounding purveyor of unpopular opinion in this thread but I'm use to it.

It isn't separable, how do you think vets end up this way? It has nothing to do with politics, it's right there in black and white. Regardless of donkeys or elephants in charge, the government has a very obvious track record of exploiting military personnel. The awful VA hospitals are testament alone to this.

I get the tribalism/brotherhood thing military people relate to and the military is a necessity but I will not be kowtowed into the romanticism of the military mystique. They're people, not superheroes. Most of the vets I know or have known are pretty good people. The ones that were scum are in the minority but scum nonetheless. I'll continue to treat good people well and bad people better than they deserve but the uniform plays no factor whatsoever. Ranking people is ridiculous IMO.

great summation

But...

Sorry, railing means, go guns, go guns, go guns. Your rather rational commentary is more than the average American gets from the average politician or news commentator.

A pet peeve of mine is this notion of "respect the Constitution." When that is used as a meme to support the military, or war, there is a fundamental misunderstanding of our Constitution, and it's purpose. The U.S. hasn't gone for any period of greater than six months without being involved in an international conflict somewhere in the world since the turn of the last century. Nowhere in our Constitution does it say we are to use our military to force capitalism, oh sorry, democracy, on the rest of the world.

General Smedley Butler:

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

Just a quick dose of non-PC reality. We owe a big chunk of our life style and freedoms to the guys who came home from WWI. They had been promised things like basic benefits and jobs when they came back and were given nothing. They got mad and went to Washington. They were beat up regularly by thugs hired by those in power, but stood their ground. In the end, they got what they had earned, and we've all benefited from their bravery. Most considered them commies and worse. So, in my most non-PC voice, I support those vets who fought in Europe, for their tenacity and bravery in the face of capitalist fervor. They were true soldiers, both during and after the war. We get weekends and evenings off to play disc golf because of their sacrifice, and we can continue to play after retirement because of the meager SS benefits we get due to their actions. Brave men and women all.

I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse or not. In case it's genuine naivete I'll spell this out for you, because you thinking that I fit the stereotype you're trying to shoehorn me into is so far off base it's absurd.

1. I never once in my life have taken the stance that "soldiers are beyond reproach or criticism" - you're painting with a broad brush there. The only thing I've said in this thread specifically is "Thank You" to our men and women who SERVED. Military =/= soldier - there are doctors, engineers, etc. who serve in different capacities.

2. Let me repeat, because you need to learn this, military and soldier are not the same thing. Agreeing with and/or supporting military campaigns is COMPLETELY different from appreciating individual peoples' sacrifices of health, family, sanity, money, opportunity, etc. It takes a great person to willingly vow to protect others even if they may not agree with when or why they're called into action.

3. I never told YOU to salute anything. I figured you'd be able to understand a simple analogy.

4. Stop throwing out big words if you don't know the definition. If you think we live in an Authoritarian country you need to get out more, or use a dictionary. I'm not even going to go down that impending dumb rabbit hole.

The blanket "thank you" that every person in a United States military uniform gets theses days verbally and in posts and internet memes has gone more overboard than the spitting on every uniform people saw coming off planes during Vietnam. The bulk of United States military personnel are no better and no more inconvenienced by their profession of choice than the average long-haul trucker or middle-class white collar worker who has to travel on occasion. Yes, sometimes they're gone longer than some jobs require and yes, sometimes they're "sent into harms way," but they signed up knowing that was a possibility....and, in some cases, because it was a possibility.

The military gets entirely too much gratitude for something they signed up for. What you wear doesn't make you special. What you do is what makes you special.

Back to the OP....I'm sure someone will manufacture a reason to be offended by the picture, but the pic cannot possibly be offensive to anyone here who has even the slightest semblance of a sense of humor. We're throwing frisbees in the woods and posting on a forum read only by the most devout of frisbees-in-the-woods-throwers. If you're "offended," lighten up, Francis. It's not that damn serious.

The blanket "thank you" that every person in a United States military uniform gets theses days verbally and in posts and internet memes has gone more overboard than the spitting on every uniform people saw coming off planes during Vietnam. The bulk of United States military personnel are no better and no more inconvenienced by their profession of choice than the average long-haul trucker or middle-class white collar worker who has to travel on occasion. Yes, sometimes they're gone longer than some jobs require and yes, sometimes they're "sent into harms way," but they signed up knowing that was a possibility....and, in some cases, because it was a possibility.

The military gets entirely too much gratitude for something they signed up for. What you wear doesn't make you special. What you do is what makes you special.

Back to the OP....I'm sure someone will manufacture a reason to be offended by the picture, but the pic cannot possibly be offensive to anyone here who has even the slightest semblance of a sense of humor. We're throwing frisbees in the woods and posting on a forum read only by the most devout of frisbees-in-the-woods-throwers. If you're "offended," lighten up, Francis. It's not that damn serious.
MUST resist the urge to drop F bombs on you for your sentiments

MUST resist the urge to drop F bombs on you for your sentiments

Feel free. I'm completely positive I've been called worse than whatever you had in mind. After all, I've spent over 21 years on active duty in the United States military (so far) to protect your right to do just that. So fire away....

....and "you're welcome," if that makes you feel better.

Last edited:
SJW? Not a acronym I am familiar with.

SJW:
Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.
#1:

A social justice warrior reads an essay about a form of internal misogyny where women and girls insult stereotypical feminine activities and characteristics in order to boost themselves over other women.

The SJW absorbs this and later complains in response to a Huffington Post article about a 10-year-old feminist's letter, because the 10-year-old called the color pink "prissy".

#2:

Commnter: "I don't like getting manicures. It's too prissy."

SJW: "Oh my god, how ****ing dare you use that word, you disgusting sexist piece of ****!"

I am responsible for this image and anyone that is offended needs to go back and view the original thread. Debating the meaning of this image I made 7 years ago (back when the site was actually fun to visit) is absurd - the point was to have fun and throw disc golf related items in to "historical" imagery. And to those wanting to debate the aesthetics and "photoshop work" - are you effing serious? We weren't getting paid for this...this wasn't professional work...we were just having fun.

I am responsible for this image and anyone that is offended needs to go back and view the original thread. Debating the meaning of this image I made 7 years ago (back when the site was actually fun to visit) is absurd - the point was to have fun and throw disc golf related items in to "historical" imagery. And to those wanting to debate the aesthetics and "photoshop work" - are you effing serious? We weren't getting paid for this...this wasn't professional work...we were just having fun.

Enjoy yourself IMO. The first thought I had when I saw this image (on a disc) was thinking of all the toil and difficulty people that want to build and maintain a Disc Golf course go through. Is it anything like the horrors of war? Of course not! In America, we are allowed to make fun of ourselves, unlike in Islamic Theocracies where you can get executed for making fun of of the Prophet.

Thank You Nemmers!

To me, there is a subset of Americans that basically worship the military along with police and fire. Ostensibly, because those profession choose to make their job protecting others, but I think the reality is more that those jobs have been so glorified in the media, movies, tv and fiction, that they have taken on a larger than life persona. I really do appreciate their sacrifices (Thank You!), but the reality is, those jobs aren't even the most dangerous jobs. (See for instance: http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-dangerous-jobs/ ). I also really appreciate my Garbage collector, fishermen and lumberjacks, who also provide critical services and actually have more dangerous jobs. Heck a Taxi Driver is more likely to be killed by violent crime than a police officer. The reason jobs like Garbage Collector don't get any credit is that their are no movies about the dangers of getting run over while taking out your trash.

Enjoy yourself IMO. The first thought I had when I saw this image (on a disc) was thinking of all the toil and difficulty people that want to build and maintain a Disc Golf course go through. Is it anything like the horrors of war? Of course not! In America, we are allowed to make fun of ourselves, unlike in Islamic Theocracies where you can get executed for making fun of of the Prophet.

Thank You Nemmers!

To me, there is a subset of Americans that basically worship the military along with police and fire. Ostensibly, because those profession choose to make their job protecting others, but I think the reality is more that those jobs have been so glorified in the media, movies, tv and fiction, that they have taken on a larger than life persona. I really do appreciate their sacrifices (Thank You!), but the reality is, those jobs aren't even the most dangerous jobs. (See for instance: http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-dangerous-jobs/ ). I also really appreciate my Garbage collector, fishermen and lumberjacks, who also provide critical services and actually have more dangerous jobs. Heck a Taxi Driver is more likely to be killed by violent crime than a police officer. The reason jobs like Garbage Collector don't get any credit is that their are no movies about the dangers of getting run over while taking out your trash.

*Thrembo starts writing an over glorifying screenplay about the trials and tribulations of the garbage collection profession.