• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko LoCastro intimidating a PDGA official at European Open '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
For clarification:

The person who called Nikko Locastro for a time violation is the PDGA EuroTour Manager.
I don't want to give his name out, because it's not the main point. It's easy to find anyways.

He basically supervises all the Eurotour events, as well as the Majors in Europe.
For comparison, it would be as if Nikko went head-to-head towards Jeff Spring, and it's even worse since he represents the PDGA.

Knowing him personally, he is an extremely gentle guy who wouldn't even harm a fly and everyone has a lot of respect for him in Europe.
He dealt with the situation in a perfect way, Nikko was actually lucky on that part.

Im clearly saying that people are overreacting, not that it is okay. But based on the point made previously, that the official is a volunteer and not a paid official, I am inclined to change my opinion. Mean mugging a fan just helping out for the day is pretty terrible.

Tell you what...I would MUCH rather people over-react to this sort of behavior than the alternative because it means we have standards unlike a lot of professional sports that tolerate this crapola.

Dang. I don't know why I feel the need to defend Nikko. Topic for therapy maybe lol. He's obviously a bit of a douchebag but should you be allowed to be a bit of a douchebag and still be a disc golfer? (*cough* Anton *cough*). I think the lens I'm viewing it through is that there should be a pretty high bar to clear before you prevent someone from doing their job. I could see how a reasonable person would think that bar was cleared here I just don't agree. Maybe we need a less punitive punishment in the rules...at least for the pro field.

I've never played a sanctioned tourney, but I assumed it would have to be tourney staff or other players on his card do make a call like this. Do you know if he was acting in a European Open specific tournament capacity or just his EuroTour Manager role?

Yeah you're WAY under-stating the case here. Try "convicted murderer with a racist tattoo who hate-posts on Facebook about transgender women in disc golf on a weekly basis and does nothing to moderate the comments from his pals who pile on with slurs, memes with slurs, and lies about the people in question."

"bit of a douchebag" was in reference to Nikko. didn't mean to conflate that with "real piece of human garbage". My bad on that one.

Maybe we need a less punitive punishment in the rules...at least for the pro field.

If I was at work, and broke a company rule, then proceeded to get in the face of my manager in an aggressive way about being called out for breaking said rule in a highly visible, public setting - I'd almost certainly get fired for that.

If these are professional players, they should be held to *a higher standard* than those of us who are only hobbyists.

If I was at work, and broke a company rule, then proceeded to get in the face of my manager in an aggressive way about being called out for breaking said rule in a highly visible, public setting - I'd almost certainly get fired for that.

If these are professional players, they should be held to *a higher standard* than those of us who are only hobbyists.

Yeah, my response to that is that you should not be fired for that and the world would be a better place if you weren't fired for that.

I think DGN edited the incident out of the live replay. If someone else finds it, let me know. I scrubbed through the American and Finnish version but couldn't find it.

Yeah you're WAY under-stating the case here. Try "convicted murderer with a racist tattoo who hate-posts on Facebook about transgender women in disc golf on a weekly basis and does nothing to moderate the comments from his pals who pile on with slurs, memes with slurs, and lies about the people in question."

I don't necessarily want to call anyone out, here. Just want to clarify that Nova is NOT referring to Nikko.

Not defending anyone. Just don't want anyone reading that post and thinking Nikko's a convicted murderer with a racist tattoo who hate-posts on Facebook about transgender women in disc golf on a weekly basis and does nothing to moderate the comments."

Last edited:
I would say his GF had something to do with that.

possibly. At the same time, I think he's sincere in his apology. He is HIGHLY emotional and lacks control of those emotions. He knows when he screws up and I believe he truly regrets it when he's calmed down from his outburst.

The problem is it has happened before and will happen again unless he gets some help.

possibly. At the same time, I think he's sincere in his apology. He is HIGHLY emotional and lacks control of those emotions. He knows when he screws up and I believe he truly regrets it when he's calmed down from his outburst.

The problem is it has happened before and will happen again unless he gets some help.

Well said. There are sometimes unfortunate DNA quirks, and he may have some. Nikko might benefit from having the sort of close friend caddie that would literally pull him back like the NFL safety who steps in after a call, so his cornerback doesn't get ejected for arguing.

The field tends to be notified pre-round if they need to pay closer attention to something, such as excessive time being enforced and pacing their play accordingly. This is how major tournaments in Finland have done in the past, at least. It's good to keep in mind that an initial excessive time violation is always a warning, and only further violations can be penalized.

I think that as a courtesy they should tell a player if an official is called to the scene to time them. No reason for the surprise.

I'll also say that the PGA rule on time, only goes into effect if the group is out of position on the golf course (a hole open ahead for instance). That's really the only time this rule should be enforced. If that was the case then I think a penalty should not have been called. Many times during a round someone doesn't throw within 30 seconds from my experience, but the group still stays in position on the course.

I don't play in tournaments due to the excessive amount of time it takes out of my life waiting on people like Nikko, who have no regard for the lives of others. If there is any rule that should be enforced, it's this one. The fact that it isn't, is the only reason I will not play in a PDGA sanctioned event. It isn't just Nikko's life, or those like Nikko. It is time from everyone concerned.

Waiting, waiting, and waiting on others to rock back and forth, change discs, rub their chin, contemplate life issues... generally do anything except play... is NOT fun to participate in or watch.

I don't play in tournaments due to the excessive amount of time it takes out of my life waiting on people like Nikko, who have no regard for the lives of others. If there is any rule that should be enforced, it's this one. The fact that it isn't, is the only reason I will not play in a PDGA sanctioned event. It isn't just Nikko's life, or those like Nikko. It is time from everyone concerned.

Waiting, waiting, and waiting on others to rock back and forth, change discs, rub their chin, contemplate life issues... generally do anything except play... is NOT fun to participate in or watch.

I completely agree with you! Whoever the official was is my new disc golf hero. As a TD myself who has had to call out slow play before, the reaction is often similar to Nikko's. I wish more TDs and players would call 30-second violations.

Status
Not open for further replies.