• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pencil Whippers - How do you deal with them?

question at end

I play mini touneys weekly and play pdga events every weekend. I'm not very good but I am honest and this thread is freaking me out. I have only had one person continuously call out the wrong score. Ever. And that was an unknown hillbilly in the Mesquite, Tx tourney weeks ago. He was either really dumb or a cheater because after the third time we went over the card when he was carrying it and found the 4th attempt to cheat. That last BS attempt cost him a stroke as we corrected his "mistake". i warned his next card in the afternoon. That was the only time this has ever happened. I generally count peoples strokes especially on blowup holes. They might call out the wrong score ONCE in a round but they are always too embarrassed to do it again/or they are embarrassed enough to watch themselves closely. I legitimately have called out a 3 before when i got a 4 after a great approach and long putt made me forget i missed a tree. But twice in a round? Never.

What freaks me out about this thread is the pencil whipping accusations. I'm still in rec (because I cannot putt) and people dont take it AS seriously as other divisions. Ive never even imagined someone erasing/changing score until today. Thats seems so crazy to do. The embarrassment of getting caught doing that in a friendly game like discgolf for very low stakes would be suicide worthy.

I have been surprised with scores before. Sometimes they seemed oddly low, but I have never, ever suspected erasing and changing them. i now will have to look at that. I guess i will keep electronic scores for others too and just say Im doing it so I dont get stroked for getting it wrong, so i dont look like a nazi.

My question is: does that happen more in certain divisions? intermediate/advanced where the stakes are higher but they arent as married to the sport to build up relationships to people they are cheating?

What division are these cheaters playing? Ive simply never heard of erasing or changing scores. Shocking.

Last edited:
Open, the guy doing it has some game too, 970ish.

I heard whispers tonight of an NC "super am" that may have engaged in such behavior at a recent tournament. Name and tournament withheld as I do not think the claim has been substantiated.

Whispers?? That Shiz is all over FB.. And its true unfortunately, the whispers are about it happening many other times b4 he was turned in finally.

^ tried to pencil whip at my tourney but was caught by someone on his card. Not wise to give yourself a birdie when only one other person has on the hole and then try to steal their pad.

^ tried to pencil whip at my tourney but was caught by someone on his card. Not wise to give yourself a birdie when only one other person has on the hole and then try to steal their pad.

That's just seriously idiotic form. Where do these people come from with their warped sense of reality?

I dunno if I wanna throw his name up on this forum.. It reaches far and wide!

Not sure if juju said this, but the next day at a different league he pulled it again(ish). Everyone on his card was aware of what went on the previous night(and other past events) and didn't let him touch the card. After the round he went up to the LD and complained his score was wrong and wouldn't quit crying until it was changed.

Sounds like whoever is running these events needs to grow a spine, and tell the offender that he/she is no longer welcome to play and actually enforce the ban.

There is a player in my area that has declared that he is quitting DG and selling off all of his gear because he is tired of the haters.

The haters are the other DG players that have become fed up with his cheating. (Many have called him out on various DG club Facebook pages)

It's a typical response...

When you get called out you immediately attack to take the attention off you and garner as much sympathy as possible.

The funny thing is his FB post announcing his retirement from the game many responses were people with the knee jerk "Don't Quit" post but there were more than a few that posted "Good Riddance" & "GTFO".

i'm not scared, the pencil whipR at my event was Charlie Coleman. i guess you can get away with it in am but once he started playn for money and with the big boyz, they watch every stroke

i'm not scared, the pencil whipR at my event was Charlie Coleman. i guess you can get away with it in am but once he started playn for money and with the big boyz, they watch every stroke

cat's out of the bag

the tournament in question is the oak hollow open

I figured it out on my own. It's amazing what you can discover with a little research and deductive reasoning.

I have seen guys who always touch their phone after every hole. Even if they are not keeping score, the score keepers think that they maybe keeping score, especially if they ask other people what they scored frequently.

I do this every hole of every tourney. I am keeping my own score, but take a long time. So I'm sure others think I'm keeping all scores. My score on the card has never been different then what I've been tracking.

Anyone in norcal know evrin sevrin I think his name is. We all know he's a cheat.

Charles Coleman...placed third at Worlds, huh? I'm sure that was well deserved...

I run tournaments and will be running an eight stop tour with a finale next year that I might implement the system where everyone keeps a scorecard. More work on my end? Yeah, but I'd rather there be no cheaters winning some big prizes that honest players worked hard for.

Latest posts