• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

At the free throw line, are you permitted to land in front of the free throw line after releasing the ball? No you're not. :)
Three point line is the same, land in front of the line and it's not a 3 pointer.

It's where the ball is released at the 3-point line, not where you land after the shot....come on.

This op has convinced me to go out and video tape myself step putting. I'm pretty sure it's not anywhere close to questionable, but I don't want to just assume that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGXwi4CA2nY

Lots of jumpers-- mostly airballs and off the top of the basket skips. I just don't see it but you guys must be better than them.

and a punter is kicking with his legs.. LMK when you kick a disc into the basket about following through like a punter :|

Did you direct me to some point about half-way through this video? Or have I watched part of it before? Because the first thing I saw was Doss hitting a step-through and a stance violation because Feldy didn't step putt.

That's ok, but if you've sunk a 75' jump putt from a restricted lie, you'd be singing another tune. Many people have had success with the jump putt and feel that it is a more controlled way to run at the basket safely from outside of standstill putting distance. Jump putting allows you to exaggerate the weight shift and get more d on a normal putting line. That's it. Period.

/thread right there. Well said. I use it to achieve angles with more speed than I would with a normal motion. WHEN necessary.

Honestly I do it to piss people off on the course too. I love when someone not in my group says something :D

This isn't really a question for anyone who understands how putting works.

I can't believe it made it to 19 pages, lol.

Back in the 90's, nobody jump putted. We also never talked about putting being too easy. :|

After people started jump putting, all of a sudden some people started complaining that putting was too easy. :|

Coincidence?

tl:dr: People do it because it works. :|

"The PDGA Rules Committee (RC) is trying to find a better way to handle the problem of calling jump putts legal or not. They have no agenda to either keep or get rid of jump putts, just solving the problem. It IS a problem based on high frame rate video where members of the RC tried to do jump and (Feldberg) walk thru putts legally. 'Yes' there are experienced jump putting pros in the RC. About 50% of the attempts were not legal where the disc was not released until the player was clearly off the ground much to the chagrin of some members who thought they were doing it legally." -Chuck Kennedy

For now, putt-jumpers (get the name right at least!) are cleared since anyone with video instant replay needs to make a call within 3 seconds. You know, cuz pace of play >>> following the rules.

Guess what, there's a clinic that Dave put on that was recorded where he mentions this. The admits that he was illegally jump-putting instead of putt-jumping. He states that's why he does the step through -- the walking putt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU

SORRY GUYS I'M BAD AT THIS. LOOK AT THE EDIT REASON. SORRY AGAIN. At least I got it to be a link.

It's not the original copy, as the uploader admits, but I'm pretty sure it's the video. I'm not going to sit and watch the whole thing to verify because I sat too long reading this damn thread and my herniated disc isn't agreeing with me.

Jump-putt is a misnomer in that it's just in the wrong order, because let's face it, "jump-putt" rolls off of the tongue a lot more easily than "putt-jump".

AFTC might know where he's aiming, but he's left a lot of us wondering where. That or he just isn't accurate. There goes my ad hominem quip for the day.

Last edited:
Aim for the chains, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I made a jump putt on Portage Lakes #9 for the first Eagle on the toughest hole of a hard course I've ever seen in competitive play. I was 80-90' out, on a slope, between trees and my legs were tangled in vines. I nailed it.

If this putt is from the video you posted, it would be an illegal putt according to the rules. You were in the air, and past your lie when you released the disc. I'm not taking sides here, but the video don't lie.

That was hole 6 of a casual round in the video, there isn't footage of the hole 9 eagle in question but no one on our card questioned it.

I wouldn't have questioned the putt in your video either. In real time its pretty hard to tell.

being in a video the motion happens inside of 1 second its nearly impossible to tell in real-time if its close.

The thing is that if you're in the air when you release the disc, you're losing all the advantages of the extra push from your legs powering your putt. If it's too close to call, benefit of the doubt goes to the thrower like everything else in the rulebook, and those players are hurting themselves anyway. Call people on the ones that are obvious for sure, but if it's close enough that you can't tell without high frame rate video then you should probably worry about other things.

but aren't most "putt jumps" I guess in question always that close? I don't think anyone is wondering about when someone is a foot in the air or obviously ahead of their lie because that's clear to anyone. Just because its close enough doesn't mean it shouldn't matter-- lots of things in this game are a matter of centimeters from OB to max amount behind lie and so on. If those things didn't matter than lets just get rid of foot faults as they all are too close to be calling real-time with the naked eye, no?

....I'm very much in favor of consistent rules enforcement on things like stance violations.

I couldn't agree more :hfive:

Last edited:
i do get tired of seeing people releasing after they have left the ground or stepping in over their lie before they release.

in my opinion we should be taking steps to make legal stances and putts more clear, not letting rules get potentially broken because it's too hard to tell.

i understand we're not a huge industry so we have to make do, but i have called people in league only to get ****ed at - we need to keep it clean, not say "well, i couldn't tell so let's let it slide". i don't have a solution, but i will agree that there is a problem. i can still generate enough momentum to reach the basket from 90 feet out without jumping or walking through- typically i just fall forward after i release and catch myself; definitely not on a laser, but i can get there from a putting stance.

Last edited:
Wow....perhaps the best/worst troll thread I've ever seen. :\

2/3 of the top 100 players in the world use some form of the walk thru or putt jump; and to even worry about it these days is so silly....that is for those that do it legally. Here's a vid that's a great round/match. Brian Schweberger is so well liked by just about everyone; but, I have to say, I just cringe every time he does his version of the walk thru putt; as it appears completely illegal to me every time I see it. I suggest you watch this entire video, because it is a great match and a teacher of always hanging in there; because you never know what might happen in the end...but, if you want to just see what I'm talking about with Brian's walking putt; go to 19 minutes and 21 minutes to see a couple of examples.

Two thoughts.

Basketball players can make a save by jumping over the OB line and catching the ball then throwing back inbounds before their feet hit the ground.

Football players can break the plane of the end zone for a touchdown while airborne with their feet across the sideline (key: airborne).

Take it with a grain of salt.